Chapter Ten

Ulric walked down to the dungeons where Thea and Nikandros were being held. Thea's cell came first and he stopped in front of it. She was chained to the wall tightly and didn't hear him approach. Ulric slightly cleared his throat, trying to get Thea to see him. A quiet clank from her chains sounded as she lifted her head. Thea scowled upon seeing the prince and he shifted uncomfortably. "What do you want?" She asked quietly, venom lacing her voice.

Ulric straightened. "I'm here to tell you that I am in charge of your fate." He said with dignity.

Thea snorted and looked back down, disinterested.

"Nothing to say? Well I am also in charge of your friend's fate."

Thea readjusted slightly, but a quiet groan came out when she moved. Her whole body ached.

"I'm sorry..."

"Just leave me alone!" She spat. "I don't want your apology."

Anger welled up inside of Ulric. "You think I wanted this?" He practically shouted, "You got yourself into this!" Thea realized he had a point and didn't answer. She frowned to herself. "I have deemed slavery the best option here. Your friend won't be ready to sell for a while due to his injuries and you will be ready shortly." Ulric baited.

Thea shuddered slightly, but regained her composure, "Wh-why don't you come over here and say that to my face, Prince?" She taunted haughtily. Ulric smiled and just looked at Thea with an are-you-serious expression on his face. "You are such a coward..." She started foolishly, but the girl couldn't help it, "you hurt us, but through the help of numerous guards who do your every bidding." She taunted. Thea should have been silent, but she was incredibly angry and decided she really didn't care.

"No," Ulric raised his eyebrow, "I could have easily defeated you. But it seems you could not have defeated me, for you called your friend and got him captured too."

"We'll see about that." She replied.

Ulric narrowed his eyes. "Well, since you will be in better condition sooner then your friend we'll sell you first. And if you escape, you'll have a hard time finding him, and won't that be a pleasant thought?" He asked sarcastically.

Thea scowled, "I would be careful not to underestimate me, dear Prince." She pointed out.

Ulric shrugged, "Don't underestimate me either, dear lady." He mocked. Then, he turned around and walked out. She glared at his back until he was out of sight before pulling on her chains. Trying to loosen them, she yanked and yanked, but only accomplished cutting her wrists on the rusty metal.

Having an idea, Thea meekly called out, "Nikandros? Are you there?" She couldn't see past a few feet out of her cell and hoped he was near.

"Thea?" Was the faint call. Nikandros sounded weak and tired.

Thea looked at her feet guiltily. She felt so awful, "Yes...it's me. How are you holding up?" She tried to disguise the pain and sorrow from her voice.

"I'm fine." Nikandros said in a semi-cheerful voice. He had heard the pain and sorrow in Thea's voice, however hard she had tried to disguise it, and he knew she was blaming herself. The truth was, though, that Nikandros was doing very poorly. His ribs ached, pain shot up his legs any time he readjusted, and he felt exhausted.

"Liar." She shot back.

"Honestly, I'm fine!" Nikandros protested.

"Just be honest-" A dry cough stopped her mid sentence as her body pushed to keep going.

Nikandros frowned. "I'm okay, but you're not."

When her coughing fit was under control, she answered, "Let's face it, Nik. We are in trouble and neither of us are doing so hot." She stated dejectedly.