Chapter Eight

Nikandros felt awful. He was loosing lots of blood and his ribs were aching. Slowly, he felt himself drift out of consciousness. Concerned, Thea watched her friend as he went limp on he ground, a puddle of crimson around him.

King Degore scowled and sat back down upon his throne, "Go get my son." He commanded a nearby guard. "Everyone else leave. Take the two prisoners back to the dungeon."

Everyone rushed to obey and not anger their King. The guard ordered to find Ulric, swallowed the lump that suddenly formed in his throat, but went off to obey nonetheless.

Ulric stormed off to his room and locked the door. He sighed and sat on his bed. A few minutes later, the guard knocked. Ulric glared at the doorway. "Who is it?" He asked, anger threading into his voice.

There was a slight pause from the other side of the door. "...My lord, it's me...uh I mean, Searen, sir. I'm a guard..." He trailed off, uncertain of what to do.

"I know who you are." Came the muffled voice opposite the door.

"Well, uh...the King sent me to bring you back...sir." The guard answered nervously.

Ulric huffed and opened the door. "Alright." He said frustratedly.

The guard bowed, "Thank you, sir." He led the way quickly back to the throne room.

As they entered, the king dismissed everyone and Ulric was alone with his father. The King sent him a disappointed look. Ulric looked back at his father, "What do you want?" He asked.

"You never disobey me, boy. Especially when there are other people around. Do you understand?" King Degore said sternly.

"As a prince, I deemed that the trial had gone long enough for one day." Ulric tried to keep his voice calm, "The man has broken ribs and was losing lots of blood."

"And as your King and your father I am still above you. Do you understand?" Degore gazed sternly towards his son.

Ulric ground his teeth and took a deep breath, "Would you have wanted me to bleed the man to death?" He asked, "As a prince I felt that it would be wrong."

"He deserves death either way. Why does it matter how?" The King waved his hand indifferently. "Perhaps he is dead now. But, you will have a problem if he dies before you get the information. He seems to be our only bargaining chip against the girl." He searched his mind for an idea, "Actually, you could always switch their places too. If the girl cares for the man then it will probably be just as effective the other way around."

Ulric bowed his head, "I suppose." He said reluctantly.

"Well then we shall continue." King Degore decided, "Guards, bring the prisoners back out."

"Yes, my lord." They hurried away.

"This will be good practice for you." The King smiled quickly at his heir, but it soon left.

"Why today? The man is still weak." Ulric questioned.

"Because I have decided that." His father explained.

Ulric frowned slightly, "Alright."

A few moments later, the guard brought the assassins back in. Nikandros was still unconscious and Thea was fighting desperately against the guards to help her friend.

Ulric gulped silently. When the guards were in front of Degore and Ulric, he spoke, "Who are you working with?" He asked Thea. Thea ignored him and watched her friend. "I assume you didn't like what happened last time." Ulric left no questioning tone in his voice. He knew what she had gone through. "If you would speak..." He trailed off. Ulric noticed a flash of fear pass through her eyes, but it disappeared quickly.