Chapter Twenty-Two

Early the next morning, Sameil was on patrol, guarding the camp. He decided to go check on Thea.

Approaching, he scrunched up his eyebrows, not quite believing what he was seeing. Upon coming nearer, Sameil realized he wasn't just seeing things. "My lady..." He said quietly and uncertainly.

Thea didn't stir.

Nikandros woke up feeling refreshed. He looked over to see where Thea was and saw Semeil next to her. Scowling inwardly, he spoke, "What are you doing?" He raised an eyebrow suspiciously.

"Look." Sameil gestured to Thea's shoulder where more red stained through her ruined tunic.

Nikandros immediately took action and rushed over to Thea's side, placing her head in his lap, "Get water and more bandages." He instructed, the worry showing evidently in his voice.

Sameil nodded, momentarily forgetting his dislike for Nikandros. He hurried off and returned quickly with the requested items.

Thea stayed still in her sleep as sweat dripped down her forehead.

As soon as Sameil came back with water and rags, Nikandros set to work and placed some cool rags on her forehead. Next, he turned to examine her wound. "Is there a knife I can use?" He asked Sameil, who was nearby.

"A knife? What for?" Sameil's eyes widened.

"I need to see the wound." Nikandros explained quickly.

"Oh...ya. Here." Sameil handed over a hunting knife he kept hidden on his person.

Nikandros nodded, "Thanks." Quickly, he cut away at Thea's tunic just enough so he could examine the bloody wound. Grabbing a rag and dunking it in water, Nikandros began to clean it. It seeped blood and was reeking with infection.

Sameil almost gagged, "That's not good, Mate...doesn't look good at all."

"Do you have any ointment? It would really help." Nikandros continued cleaning the wound, gently dabbing and wiping the blood and infection away.

Sameil shook his head, "Sorry, no. I gave you all we have left."

Nikandros frowned, "Should have saved it. I didn't need it." He leaned back on his knees and examined the wound. It was still bleeding, and Nikandros took another wet rag and tied it tightly around the wound. "We'll have to check it every few hours to make sure it doesn't get infected." He placed the back of his hand on Thea's hot forehead, "Come on, Thea." He whispered, "Wake up."

She slightly stirred with a quiet groan, but didn't open her eyes.

Sameil watched closely, seemingly thoughtful, "You really care for her, don't you?"

Nikandros nodded slightly, but said nothing.

Sameil sighed, "You know that she cares for you too, right?"

"What?" Nikandros glanced over at Sameil, a little confused.

"Are you really that daft?"

Nikandros sighed and ran his hand through his hair, "I don't know."

"Ppfftt..." Sameil laughed, "are you serious? She has feelings for you, man. Trust me."

Nikandros looked down and closed his eyes.

"Take my advice, don't wait. You can't let her slip through your fingers. I barely know her, but she seems like an awesome person..."

"She is." Nikandros agreed, "We grew up together. I just don't want to press it, you know what I mean? If I told her how I feel, and she doesn't feel the same way, it would totally ruin our friendship. Totally ruin it." Nikandros repeated.