Part 69

Bailey

We stayed at the restaurant for a few hours before his friends left to hit the bar. I told Lucas we could go if he wanted to, but he quickly told me I was crazy if I thought he was going to share me any more. We climbed back into his truck and made the drive to our hotel. 12:43AM I tried not to pay attention to the time, but it seemed to be right there at every turn. Dread sat between us like a third passenger in the truck.

"Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. Garver." The woman behind the counter at the hotel waved to us as we made our way through the lobby.

"Good evening," Lucas answered, pulling me into his side and planting a kiss on my head. We both laughed discreetly as we waited for the elevators. As I watched his face, so full of joy despite where he'd be going in a few days, I instantly wanted that dream to be true. I was suddenly jealous of the women who were first in line to hear any news about their husbands. I wouldn't have that. Mr. and Mrs. Garver.

I'd never really thought about whether or not I'd want to be married, but when I thought about Lucas, I had no doubt. I know other girls would be shocked that I was even thinking about that at my age, but they just wouldn't understand how this world was different. Sure, guys back home were just starting college. We as an age group didn't really know much about the future, but our men in uniform—they were different. This whole place was different. Back at the restaurant while we ate, three different guys from his shop had stopped by the table to say hi and introduce their wives. Wives that were not much older than I was.

"I can't believe how young people get married around here." Lucas stopped laughing at my words.

"It's crazy, right? I've heard stories of moms signing so their teenage daughters can marry Marines." He shook his head, "One girl that worked at this small dinner in Florida was only seventeen when she got married. I asked her why her parents signed and she said it was because they knew she'd be taken care of. It was her high school sweetheart and they trusted him."

"It's so different than LA."

"It's different from everywhere. It's like it's own little culture. If you're twenty-four and not married with at least three kids, people look at you like something's wrong. For some, I think they look at their futures like they're government issued. Get in the Corps, get married, move into base housing, and have babies." We stepped into the elevator and rode it up to our floor.

"Is that what you used to want?" I asked. Had he been thinking that before he met me and I told him I didn't want to have kids? Did I still not want them? I guess I just didn't know anything for sure anymore.

"Used to?" he asked with a wink. The doors slid open and he stepped out of the elevator. It took me a split second to follow him.

"Like before I met you?" I asked, hurrying to catch up to him at our door.

"Before I met you?" he asked with a curious look, as if the thought had only occurred to him after he'd met me.

"Lucas!" I shouted when he opened the door and pulled me inside.

"Yes, Mrs. Garver?" 12:56AM

******How cute is he?? I love hearing him in my head....don't worry, I'll get that checked out as soon as their story is over. Vote and share please!