Part 74

Lucas

She said yes. I couldn't even sleep at all last night. I called Pines right before we went to bed and told him the news. Any other time he wouldn't have believed me, but he knew how much I loved her and how close we were to shipping out. He didn't even question it, just told me he'd grab Sanchez and meet us where ever they needed to be so they could sign as witnesses.

I also called my brother. I'd been talking his ear off about Bailey for the last year, so he wasn't surprised she'd flown back to be with me. He was just shocked that it was all happening so fast. Our lives were on completely different tracks, and sometimes it was hard to understand the choices we made, but he always supported me. Of course, he was disappointed he couldn't be there for the ceremony, but I promised him I'd have one of the guys record it so he could watch.

I ordered breakfast to be brought to our room, then I sat down in the chair beside the bed and watched her for a minute as she slept. I couldn't believe in a few hours she'd be mine. 6:20AM. The clock beside the bed reminded me that I'd only have her as my wife for a short time before she'd have to leave. I fucking hated that piece of shit clock.

I was making arrangements for the day so that I could have everything in order before she left. The soft knock on the door woke Bailey when our food was delivered. "Breakfast in bed," she asked sleepily when I brought the tray over to her.

"Hope that's ok."

"It's amazing," she said, stretching and then reaching for her coffee. "What's the plan?"

"The courthouse opens at 8:30. The mall opens at 10:00." I swear I was going to hate time for the rest of my life after this experience.

"The mall?" she asked as she lifted a bagel to her mouth.

"You need a dress. I can wear my uniform. We have an appointment with the chaplain on base at 11:00. They don't do ceremonies at the courthouse. We have to get our license and then go somewhere else to actually say our vows. The chaplain has to sign off on it. Sanchez and Pines are meeting us there." She smiled and nodded her head.

"You thought of everything."

"I couldn't sleep." I took a sip of my coffee. My stomach was far too jittery for me to put any food on it. I wasn't nervous about marrying her, I was nervous about having to let her go.

A few hours later we were leaving the courthouse with our marriage license. We had sixty days to get married by someone ordained or it was no longer valid. I couldn't help but wonder how many military members around the country had experienced something similar to our quick marriage and were injured or KIA before the sixty days had even expired.

10:39AM

I had been sitting at a small table near the food court waiting for her to go inside a few shops. I thought we might be at this a while, so I'd ordered another cup of coffee and grabbed a newspaper. We were running close to the time we were supposed to meet with the chaplain, but I'd already changed into my uniform before we drove to the mall. As long as she found a dress in the next few minutes, everything would still be on schedule.

I lifted my eyes from the paper long enough to reach for my coffee when she emerged from the small formal shop a few doors down from the food court. My hand froze with my coffee still inches from my face. She was absolutely stunning. I felt my lips curl up and my heart practically beat out of my chest. I set my coffee down and was on my feet in seconds. Unconsciously, my hand rubbed my heart.

"Bailey, you look incredible." She smiled and did a little spin, which only made my head feel dizzier. Her glasses were gone and her lips were tinted pink with lipstick. Her hair had been twisted up off of her neck and a simple pin decorated in pearls held it in place.

"The woman in the store helped me out. They're really nice at the make-up counter." She motioned over her shoulder, but I couldn't take my eyes off of her to look. Her dress was white with diamonds sewn on it. It sparkled under the ugly lights of the mall and I knew it would be even more beautiful under the natural light of the old chapel on base. It was short, but not too short. It fit her like a second skin and left her shoulders completely bare. It wasn't a wedding dress, but it was perfect for our wedding.

11:07AM

"I thought maybe you weren't coming," Pines yelled to us when I got out of my truck. "You're late."

"Sorry. It took a little longer to find a dress than I...." I was interrupted by a long whistle as Pines watched Bailey slip out of the truck and into my arms. I chuckled and knew he'd understood.

"Wow, Bailey. You look great." Sanchez nudged him with his elbow and Pines slowly looked over to him and then got the message that maybe he shouldn't be checking out my girl. "Sorry." They turned and walked into the small chapel, leaving Bailey and I alone in the parking lot.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I asked her even though I knew if she said no I'd never get over it.

"With every little piece of my heart." She was already in heels, but she rocked up on her toes to press a kiss to my lips.

11:24AM

I could barely remember shaking hands with the chaplain, but now we had exchanged our vows and put the rings on. We'd promised to love each other, take care of each other and be faithful until death did we part. Bailey got teary when I slipped the ring on her finger, but her smile let me know they were tears of joy. My hand was a little shaky when she tried to put my grandfather's ring on it, but together the two of us managed to get through it-- just like we'd get through anything.

"I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride." My bride, I thought as I kissed her. This sure was going turning out to be one hell of a story. 

*****Vote and share please!