▪30▪

o n ▪ s t a g e

"Ready?" I say and we rush towards the stage.

I see the models standing beside Kate at the opposite side of the stage, ready to walk on the ramp. Kate looks at me and mouths - 'I will screw your standards.'

I just smile at her.

Believe me, it is the first time I have ever seen something like this. I cannot believe my eyes when I see hundreds and more of humans sitting right along the ramp and ahead. I look at the cameras viewing in and out.

The show starts and the models start to walk ahead. No wardrobe malfunctions. No ramp fail. Nothing like what I have watched. Actually, I have just watched the funny videos. So, yeah, bite me.

And finally Kate walks along the ramp, gathering applause from the audience and speaks -

"Hello, everyone!!! I am so enthralled to see so many of you guys here, today. Not just because it is my release of the new collection but also.." She pauses to turn around and look at me ( who is very well hidden from the spectators) and continues - "also because this is not just a fashion show. This is a contest." People start whispering and muttering in deep voices.

"Yes. Can you believe some so-called teen activists claim that the beauty standards and trends we set up are useless and need to be discarded or say s c r e w e d in their mundane language?" More people start to whisper. My hands get clammy and my heart starts beating fast.

"So, I just called them up here to have their chance to portray fashion. Our honorable guests here.." She points at some bald headed men in the front row and continues to speak -
"will be judging this show. Kate Hennsley or a bunch of teenagers. Thank you."

She drops the mic and everyone starts to cheer for her.

"Put your shoes on, darling. I don't want you to show off your underwear to the cameras. Do not fall." She mocks me, walks past me to go backstage, steps down the stairs and goes in front to sit with the audience.

"Go." Justin whispers in my ear and I walk ahead.

I walk like a toddler. Not at all a cat walk. Maybe a dead cat. Dead cats don't walk, sadly. Just understand that it is too bad to describe.

The audience boos with excitement with occasional 'loser' comments.

I have to do this. I have to do this for everyone. I say to myself. Every word which hurt me in the past start to resonate in my brain as I take every step.

I smile brightly as I stand at the far end of the ramp for a few seconds and I stoop down to pick up the microphone which she dropped accidentally on purpose.

"Hello, everyone. We are not here to portray some fashion. We don't know anything about it." People start looking at each other and Kate keeps on staring without a b l i n k .

"Come on." I call all my friends on the ramp and Rob comes running towards me, too excited.

"We are here to tell you a story. We are here to ask your opinion about beauty standards. As, I am quite sure you all are familiar with the words 'shaming' and 'insecurity'. So, let me introduce myself. I am Jane Keller, 20 year old, skinny shamed and Kate challenged me to win this show, which o b v i o u s l y I cannot, thus proving myself as a loser."

I hand over the mic to Rob.

"I am Rob, 20 years old. Fat shamed and I want to love my body and I want people to stop shaming me for what I am. I want to wear the clothes I want to wear. I want to wear what you are wearing. It is amazing." Rob says effortlessly and the man he complimented blushes and gives him a smile. He is great at compliments.

"I am Justin, 20 years old. I don't have a perfect body. But I am happy with what I am."

"I am Jess. 45 years old. I do not have my breasts as they excised it because of my Cancer and I do not want to be called a man. I met Jane at the free your body campaign and I am so proud of all these people."

One after another, all of them start speaking and no one fails to capture the attention of the hundreds.

"Do you think these beauty standards are essential?" I ask as I look straight into the camera.

"What the fuck do you think you are doing?" Kate jumps up from her seat and shouts.

"Whoa. Whoa. Lady, watch your tongue. You are being aired, l i v e ." Rob mocks her.

"Get out of my way, you fat bastard." She roars at him. The cameras move in close to her face and I watch her c u s s i n g .

"We made our point, Rob." I say as I hold him to pull him back.

"So, you are telling us that our jobs are useless?" One of the bald men asks.

"Oh, No. No, sir. We are just telling you to stop shaming a certain body size. Clothes are for everyone. They are to cover one's body and to make one feel confident. Everyone should be allowed to wear what they want. That's all, sir."

"Actually, she is right." A lady from the audience gets up to say.

Stop skinny shaming. Stop body shaming. Skinny shaming is as worse as fat shaming.
▪▪
A/N:
This was a pretty long chapter.

Please, vote, share and comment.
Do tell me your opinion. Please!!!!

xxx
kartika_k
▪▪