Chapter 7: Dawnstep at the Moonpool

After Moonstar had named the kits and her new warriors had fallen asleep. She looked up at the sky, the moon was half-full. Wait the moon's half-full,  Moonstar thought. Moonstar got up, her kits whined a little but she calmed them down.

She padded over to Skywing, who was sleeping. She prodded her in the side and said, "Wake up, we need to go to the Moonpool."

Skywing was a little dozy at first but she snapped back. She looked at Moonstar's kits and said, "Who will watch them?"

Moonstar padded over to Grassblade and prodded her. When Grassbalde woke Moonstar said, "Could you watch my kits, Skywing and I need to go to the Moonpool."

Grassblade nodded and picked up her kits so she could take care of her kits while taking care of Moonstar's kits. Grassblade curled in Moonstar's nest and got back to sleep. Moonstar and Skywing padded up to the edge of the lake.

Skywing commented, "I smell cats, Moonstar do you know the cats scented here?"

Moonstar sniffed the air and growled, "Squirrelcaln."

Skywing looked shocked and said, "Why don't you like Squirrelclan?"

Moonstar snapped, "Just go ahead I'll catch up, and, don't trust any cat. Talk to others as little as possible. Got it?!"

"Y-yes M-moonstar-r!" Skywing stammered.

Skywing ran ahead, out of Moonstar's sight. She got up and started to head to where her medicine cat went. When she caught up to Skywing she heard her telling the other medicine cats, "Well Moonstar just created it."

She must be talking about Leafclan, Moonstar thought. Moonstar stepped forward and meowed, "Yeah, I only just did."

A dawn colored cat turned around to stare at her, it was Dawnstep! What's she doing here, Moonstar thought. Dawnstep yowled, "What are you doing Here?!"

Moonstar mewed plainly, "What? I can't accompany my medicine cat to her first day at the moonpool? You seem to be accompanying Cricketpaw."

Skywing looked very embarrassed, like she needed to run away from this whole thing. Dawnstep started to walk to Skywing but Moonstar jumped in front to protect her medicine cat. Skywing pushed Moonstar out of the way and walked up to Dawnstep. "You must be Dawnstep." she mewed politely. 

Moonstar let out a growl, she didn't like that HER medicine cat was being friendly with her mortal enemy. Dawnstep shot a glance at Moonstar, although nothing could change what Moonstar thought or did. 

Dawnstep then grunted, "I'm sorry about Moonstar, she must be a pain to deal with."

Moonstar was about to leap on Dawnstep when Skywing toke a sudden offence to what Dawnstep had said. So my medicine cat does listen, Moonstar thought. "S-sorry if that offended you." Dawnstep stammered.

The silver medicine cat looked a little happier, then she raised her front left paw and slashed Dawnstep's muzzle. The dawn colored she-cat stumbled a bit, and Skywing meoed, "Now you are forgiven."

Then Littlecloud, the Shadowclan medicine cat said, "Enough! We'll be late if we continue bickering."

The cats started to move, but Moonstar ran up to the head and made sure Skywing was following. Dawnstep said something to Cricketpaw and then the two she-cats started running after the Leafclan cats.

The Squirrelclan cats soon passed Moonstar and Skywing. Moonstar let out a snarl and started running faster, but she triped and hit her nose on the ground. Soon the other medicine cats past her and Skywing.

Moonstar got up and said to Skywing, "Let's walk with the other medicine cats and get to the moonpool."

Skywing nodded, the two gray she-cats ran up the other medicine cats. Skywing got close to Moonstar and whispered, "Why don't you like Dawnstep?"

Moonstar growled, "I was never a kittypet, I used to be a Squirrelclan cat myself. The leader of Squirrelclan, Pebblestar. She was my friend, every cat thought I would become deputy. Then Pebblestar choose Dawnstep, my former apprentice. Now I hate Squirrelclan."

Skywing nodded, Moonstar thought that her and her medicine cat could become great friends. Then they arrived at the moonpool. Moonstar ran ahead and pushed past Dawnstep, she layed down by the pool. Skywing soon followed.

Moonstar said to Skywing, "You need to drink some of the water then we'll share dreams with Starclan, our warrior ancestors."