Chapter 19: "The Future"

Looking around as Moonstar and Juniperpaw left camp, Moonstar's thoughts were busy. Within the last few moons more cats joined LeafClan, the dream about Gorsekit, Gleamkit, and Swallowkit happened about 2 weeks ago. Cloud was extremely close to kitting, and new-leaf was also close. In the next few sun-rises Juniperpaw and her littermates will have their warrior assessment. Moonstar was just taking Juniperpaw out to speak with her in private. Moonstar had recently decided that before one's warrior assessment the apprentice must speak one-on-one with their mentor about their hopes and plans for their future, so their mentor can help guide them over those few remaining sun-rises of their apprenticeship. 

Wanting to speak in a extremely private place Moonstar was going into the twolegplace, it was risky but Moonstar knew a place where she and Juniperpaw could speak. Upon arriving at the twolegplace Moonstar flicked her tail for Juniperpaw to follow, they went through a hole in a wooden fence and appeared in a huge field, "This is where I met Fireclaw," Moonstar mewed, "It was a long time ago, before I even created LeafClan."

"Wow!" Juniperpaw's eyes widened as she scanned the field.

Settling down Moonstar turned to Juniperpaw, "So? Do you have any hopes, or plans for your life as a warrior of LeafClan?"

"I want to be leader!" Juniperpaw mewed excitedly, "I know every cat in every Clan hopes to be leader, but you're my mentor and you're leader! If you could be leader, then couldn't I be leader some day?"

Purring Moonstar mewed, "We'll see, Juniperpaw. In the meantime, are you excited for your warrior ceremony? The day afterwards is the gathering so you don't have to wait forever to attend your first gathering as a warrior."

The apprentice shifted nervously, "I'm excited, but also really nervous! What If I don't pass?"

"Believe me, you'll pass! You're a great apprentice, Juniperpaw, and you will make an even greater warrior!" Moonstar mewed encouragingly.

"Thanks Moonstar!" Juniperpaw purred. 

Getting up Moonstar mewed, "Come on. Let's get back to camp!"

Her eyes shining with excitement Juniperpaw mewed, "Last one to camp gets last pick of prey!"

Feeling energized Moonstar started to run as fast as she could, sure she wasn't as young as Juniperpaw but she was still fast and lean. The two raced throughout practically all of LeafClan's territory and for most of it Moonstar was in the lead. Just before the fence around the camp Juniperpaw pulled ahead of Moonstar and leaped over the fence, Moonstar just tail-lengths behind. Out of breath Moonstar panted, "Good race, go ahead and grab some prey it's almost night."

Juniperpaw nodded and trotted up to the fresh-kill pile, Fireclaw noticed Moonstar and padded up to his mate. "You look out of breath and tired, get some prey."

Starting regain her strength Moonstar shook her head no, "I lost the race and the bet, which means I get last pick of prey."

Blinking lovingly, "You'll forever be an apprentice at heart, won't you be?" Fireclaw mewed.

"I can be mature, like a leader should be!" Moonstar protested. 

Smiling Fireclaw said, "Goldenpetal is more mature then you, Moonstar! But there's nothing wrong with being an apprentice at heart, it means you understand how the younger cats in the Clan feel."

Calming down Moonstar purred, "Alright, if you say so! But I will still wait until every other cat gets prey before I eat."

"Fine, but promise me you'll share your prey with me!" Fireclaw purred. 

"Sure thing!" Moonstar mewed as she licked his ear.