Chapter 39: "Dreams of the Past"

"I figured it out Skywing!" Moonstar mewed as she raced into the medicine den, almost knocking over Skywing.

Skywing turned to face Moonstar, "What are you talking about, Moonstar?"

"The dreams I had many moons ago, where at the end of each one I died a different way. Those dreams were telling me how I am going to lose each of my lives!" Moonstar mewed, barely pausing to take a breath.

The medicine cat nodded, but had a worried look at her face, "But, how did you find this out?"

"Err..." Moonstar trailed off, "I may, or may not, of lost a life fighting with Xeno."

A shocked expression took over Skywing's face, "Xeno? As in the cat who's Gleampaw, Gorsepaw, and Swallowpaw's real father?!"

"Of course Xeno!" Moonstar hissed angrily, "I've met him several times, and each time leaves me more confused than the last!"

The silver tabby padded up to Moonstar, and sat down next to the leader. Her long striped tail laid across Moonstar's back, "It's okay Moonstar, there's no need to get upset. So, what about the dreams? Do you remember what happened in your third dream?"

Taking a moment to think, Moonstar went through all the dreams she remembered, "The first dream ended with me fighting a fox, which I lost my first life to a fox. The second one ended with a cat biting my neck, and that's how Xeno killed me. I'm having trouble remembering the third one though..." Moonstar didn't finish her thought.

Skywing licked Moonstar's cheek, "It's fine, you just lost a life and your still quite shaken from it. You need to rest, I'll give you a juniper berry and some poppy seeds to help."

"Thanks Skywing." purred Moonstar.

The medicine cat turned around towards her herb storage, and put a juniper berry and a few poppy seeds onto a small piece of a soft twoleg pelt. Goldenpetal then entered the medicine den, "Moonstar, what was so important that you needed to tell Skywing right away?"

Moonstar opened her mouth to respond, but Skywing answered for her, "She realized that some dreams she had many moons ago foretold her of how she would lose each of her lives. But, we can talk more about this later, Moonstar needs to rest now."

Goldenpetal nodded, and Moonstar went to her den, with Skywing following. Once in the den Moonstar laid down, and Skywing unwrapped the juniper berry and poppy seeds. "The juniper berry will help to calm you, and the poppy seeds will help you sleep."

Moonstar lapped up the herbs and swallowed them, even now she felt much better than she did before. Skywing left the den, and Moonstar drifted off into sleep.

When Moonstar opened her eyes, she was suddenly back in the SquirrelClan camp. What am I doing here? Moonstar wondered, but the more she looked around she realized something, she was in the nursery. I'm a kit again, but why? Last time I dreamed of my kithood I dreamed of Doefoot's banishment from SquirrelClan. Moonstar looked around the nursery some more, she saw Pebblestar curled around her. Blinking her eyes open Pebblestar mewed, "Your up, are you hungry? Dogtail and Savannah just got back from a hunting patrol, I heard Savanna caught a huge sparrow just for us to share!"

"Sparrow! That's my favorite!" squeaked Moonstar.

My voice sounds so strange, I'm not used to it being this squeaky sounding. Moonstar thought to herself, complaining. Pebblestar smiled, "I knew you'd want it." The grey tabby she-cat stood up, and stretched, "Come on, I think they're already eating without us!"

Pebblestar exited the nursery, Moonstar at the she-cat's tail. Moonstar's legs felt strange, as she was currently in the body of a kit. Once in the SquirrelClan camp Moonstar looked around, the scent of the camp was strong. I almost forgot the smell of the camp. In the middle of the camp sat Dogtail and Savanna, who were sharing a vole. Suddenly Moonstar found herself running towards the SquirrelClan warriors, like she was so excited to see them. "Pebbleclaw said you caught a sparrow for me!"

"Yep!" Dogtail purred, "Savanna caught it just for you!"

Letting out a mrrow of amusement Pebblestar mewed, "But I hope you're willing to share it with me!"

"Sure!" Moonstar mewed excitedly.

Savanna stood up and padded over to the fresh-kill pile, bending her head down she picked up a sparrow. Joining the clustered cats again she dropped the sparrow in front of Moonstar. "There you go Moonkit, I know it's your favorite."

"Thanks Savanna!" Moonstar mewed before taking a bite of the sparrow.

Savanna purred before joining Dogtail again, and Pebblestar took a bite of the sparrow. "Just think Moonkit," mewed Dogtail, "pretty soon you'll be an apprentice. Then you could be bringing prey back for us!"

"Prey doesn't stand a chance against you, Moonkit!" purred Pebblestar.

Smiling brightly Moonstar mewed, "I'm going to be the best warrior SquirrelClan has ever seen! Maybe even leader!"

"I can see it now," Savanna purred, "one day many moons from now elders and queens will be telling kits stories about Moonstar, and the amazing leader she was!"

Your right Savanna, Moonstar thought grimly, one day kits will be told my story. In LeafClan kits will be told of my amazing leadership, but in SquirrelClan kits will be taught to see me as a villain. Despite her grim thoughts, Moonstar mewed, "You really think I'll be an amazing leader?!"

"We know so." Dogtail mewed.

Suddenly Moonstar started to awake, the last moments of her dream slowly fading. Blinking her eyes Moonstar looked wearily around, I'm back home in LeafClan. Moonstar thought, smiling a little. She had forgotten how amazing her kithhod was, and what great parents Pebblestar, Savanna, and Dogtail were to her. Despite her happiness, Moonstar knew she was dreaming of her kithhood for a reason. The likelihood of the reason being a good reason, was slim. Moonstar knew StarClan was trying to tell her something, and something important. But what are StarClan trying to tell me?

Alright y'all, what do think? Was it worth the wait? Probably not, but still! I can't believe the "Moonstar's Decision" is drawing to a close soon, and "Moonstar's Fear" will be in the works! I honestly never thought I would get this far in the storyline, and never really believed in my ability as a writer. I know that I am far from an amazing writer, but my transformation in writing style over the past 3 or 4 years is tremendous! Before I let you all go along on your merry little way, I just wanted to ask you something. Would you like me to do a "Moonstar's Decision" Q&A? Also, leave any questions you wanna know about "Moonstar's Decision" below in the comments. You can ask anything you want as long as it relates to "Moonstar's Decision" in some way, and I'll do my best to answer your questions in the last part of the book. Happy reading!

-zebra-pony12 (zebra)