Chapter 24: "Doefoot"

Walking back to the LeafClan camp Moonstar was still in shock, Gleampaw was her mother reincarnated. How was it possible though? Moonstar's mother, Doefoot, had been driven out of SquirrelClan when Moonstar was only a kit! Moonstar had been raised by Pebblestar, Savanna, and Dogtail after Doefoot had been driven out, despite Pebblestar and Dogtail being brother and sister and Savanna being Pebblestar's best friend and Dogtail's mate the three were great foster parents. 

I don't think I should tell Gleampaw, yet. Although I will need to speak to Goldenpetal, Lilacbreeze, and Skywing about it. Gleampaw then asked, "What are you thinking about Moonstar ?" 

"Oh, nothing." Moonstar lied. 

She couldn't get the fact that Gleampaw is Doefoot out of her head. I wonder if you remembers any thing from her previous life? Surely she must have some memories of Moonstar as a kit, or maybe of Redstar driving her out. Moonstar was trying to remember why Doefoot was driven out. Redstar was still a fairly new leader at the time, but why was she driven out?

Entering the camp Moonstar needed some time to process what she had learned, and mewed to Gleampaw, "I'm going to my den, you can do whatever you want in camp for the rest of the day." 

Gleampaw nodded and trotted over to the fresh kill pile. Laying down in her den Moonstar fell asleep, and when she opened her eyes she was in the SquirrelClan camp. What am I doing here? Moonstar pondered. Suddenly Moonstar realized, she was the size of a kit! Looking around Moonstar noticed that Pebblestar was there, and a young warrior in fact not even deputy yet. 

Redstar confronted a vaguely familiar she-cat, she was a calico with similar markings to Gleampaw except Gleampaw was light grey and white not a calico. Redstar mewed, "Doefoot, I have no choice but to have you leave SquirrelClan."

Doefoot, tears in her eyes mewed, "But-bu-but what about Moonkit? You can't just expect me to leave her here? She's my kit, and she needs someone to raise her!"

Looking her dead in the eye a Redstar mewed sternly, "What you did was unacceptable! Moonkit will stay here Pebbleclaw, Dogtail, and Savanna can raise her. They can each take turns sleeping with her, eating with her, and playing with her."

"What was so wrong with what I did?!" Doefoot cried, her tears falling on the leaf-fall ground. 

This time Pebbleclaw spoke up, "You killed two ShadowClan warriors, three WindClan warriors, and your mate, who was a SquirrelClan cat, all for no reason!"

Doefoot was starting to get defensive, "I didn't kill them for no reason! I had my reasons, but you won't listen to them!"

She then stormed out of the camp, giving Moonkit a quick loving glance. Soon all the cats were whispering and looking at Moonkit. She knew what they were thinking, was Moonkit going to be like her mother? Of course Moonstar knew that she was a loyal cat, who would only kill if needed, but she couldn't help but feel embarrassed. Savanna padded towards Moonkit, Dogtail and Pebbleclaw right behind her. The three cats layed down, circling Moonkit. "It's okay, we'll make sure no cat hurts you. No cat should be judged off of what their parents did." Pebbleclaw mewed.

Savanna started to lick Moonkit's head, Dogtail and Pebbleclaw purred in rhythm. As Moonkit drifted into sleep, Moonstar woke up in the LeafClan camp. Her heart beating in her chest, Moonstar was starting to remember more and more of her kithood. Which was odd, before now all Moonstar really remembered was being an apprentice. Moonstar was scared, what if Gleampaw becomes just like Doefoot?!