Chapter 9: "Making a Strong Clan"

Moonstar padded into the medicine den, it had been 2 moons sense Moonstar received her nine lives. Later that day Moonstar will be giving Hopkit and Poppykit their apprentice names. Skywing was sorting through the herbs, she had been learning alot from the other medicine cats.

Moonstar said calmly, "I had the dream again, I still can't figure it out!"

Skywing turned and asked, "What happened at the end this time?"

"I was being choked by something." she confessed. 

"How many times have you this dream?' she asked worriedly. 

Moonstar muttered, "This is the 6th time."

"Could Starclan be trying to tell us something. Because I had the dream about the mysterious cat again." the silver tabby fretted. 

Moonstar mewed gently "We'll figure it out Skywing, I know we will."

"I believe you." she said before going back to her herbs. Moonstar left medicine den her pelt brushing against the rocks that made up the medicine den. Once she got to the clearing Grassblade said to her, "I want you, Twisterblaze, and Crossjaw to hunt in the back alley before the apprentice ceremony." 

Moonstar nodded and Twisterheart and Crossjaw came forward. The cats started out to the back alley. Once they arrived the cats split up, Moonstar scented a mouse. She started tracking it until she found it and it practically run into her paws.

Crossjaw mewed, "Great catch Moonstar!"

After that Twisterheart caught two voles, Moonstar caught two more mice, and Crossjaw caught a bluejay. As the cats started to leave a group of four cats showed up and the led one yowled, "This is our alley!"

"This is Leafclan territory, you Fleabag!" Twisterheart spat.

"I'm so scared! Two puny she-cats and a scrawny looking tom are going to bet us up!" He joked.

Crossjaw growled, "Who ya calling scrawny, you mousebrain."

A golden tabby stepped forward and meowed, "Back off Flutter, that gray she-cat right there is Moonsky!"

Twisterheart fell down laughing at the big strong tom's name, the tortoiseshell she-cat was laughing so much she started to cough. Moonstar and Crossjaw helped her up, Moonstar looked at the golden tabby and asked, "How do you know my name?"

The tom  mewed, "A while back we met each other, I really liked you and you liked me so you ran away from your home. After two days you said that you missed home. You went back and I never saw you again until now."

This cat must be Stormkit and Goldenkit's father! She thought. She remembered the tom's name, Fire. Moonstar asked, "Who are the other two?"

Fire said calmly, "The dark ginger is my sister, Flare. And the brown cat with white legs is Flutter's mate, Jewel."

Moonstar nodded, "Instead of fighting over this alley, how about you guys join my clan, Leafclan."

Fire mewed, "One second."

He and his friends got in a huddle and started to talk. She couldn't hear what they were saying but, she could tell it was good news for her. Twisterheart and Crossjaw looked at each other lovingly. She knew that pretty soon there would be a new litter of kits!

Fire turned to Moonstar and mewed, "We'll join Leaflcan, on one condition."

Moonstar blurted out, "Yes! I'll do it!"

Fire said, "That you become my mate."

Moonstar walked up to him and nuzzled his cheek, "Your kits are waiting at the camp."

Fire purred, and they started to walk. Once they got to fence, Moonstar, Twisterblaze, and Crossjaw leaped over with ease. Jewel asked, "How can we got over that!"

Moonstar looked at Crossjaw, he nodded. Moonstar leaped over the fence, again. Once she was on the other side she mewed, "It's easy, once you get the hang of it." 

Moonstar got into the leaping position, all apprentices have to learn about it. She mewed, "This is the leaping position. Now you try."

The cats got into some form of a leaping position. Moonstar mewed, "Close enough. Now push off with your back legs, and stretch your front legs as far out as you can."

Moonstar did it and leaped over the fence, she landed on all four paws. "And don't forget to land on your paws!"

The cats started to try, Flare got it on her first try. Fire toke two or three tries until he got it. Jewel got it in four, and Flutter got it after six or seven tries. Once all the cats were over Grassblade trotted up to Moonstar and asked, "Who are these cats?"

"They want to join Leafclan." Moonstar stated.

Grassblade nodded, "They can get their warrior names before the apprentice ceremony." 

Moonstar leaped on top of the tallest cardboard box, which was her den. She called, "Let all cats old enough to jump the fence gather around for a clan meeting!"

The clan gathered around, Moonstar meowed, "Before Hopkit and Poppykit get their apprentice names, Twisterheart, Crossjaw, and I found some cats who would like to join Leafclan. Fire step forward!"

The tom stepped up to the box, Moonstar called, "Fire, if you promise to hunt, fight, and risk your life for Leafclan say 'I will'"

"I will!" he mewed.

Moonstar said, "Then from now on you shall be known as Fireclaw!"

The clan cheered, "Fireclaw! Fireclaw!"

Moonstar went on, "Flare do you promise to hunt, fight, and risk your life for Leafclan?"

The she-cat yowled, "Of course I do!"

Moonstar smiled, "From now on you shall be know as Flarestorm."

"Flarestorm! Flarestorm!"

Moonstar continued, "Jewel do you promise to hunt, fight, and risk your life for Leafclan?"

She mewed, "Yes."

Moonstar nodded, "From now on you shall be known as Jewelfur."

"Jewelfur! Jewelfur!"

Moonstar asked, "Flutter do you wish to keep the first part Flutter or not?"

The gray tom mewed, "Please change it, but keep it related to Flutter." 

Moonstar nodded, "Flutter do you promsie to hunt, fight, and risk your life for Leafclan?"

He muttered, "I guess."

Moonstar laughed, "From now on you shall be known as Pigeonflight."

Pigeonflight mouthed a thank you. Moonstar called, "Poppykit, step forward."

The she-kit bounced up to the cardboard box, "Poppykit, do you promise to uphold the warrior code, and serve Leafclan even at the cost of your life."

"Yes!" the she-kit yowled.

Moonstar conitnued, "From now until you earn your warrior name you shall be known as Poppypaw, your mentor will be Crossjaw"

Crossjaw and Poppypaw touched noses. Moonstar mewed, "Hopkit, do you promise to up hold the warrior code and protect Leaflcan, even at the cost of you life."

The young tom mewed, "Yes! Of course!" 

Moonstar smiled and mewed, "From now on until you earn your warrior name you shall be known as Hoppaw, your mentor will be Flarestorm."

Flarestorm and Hoppaw touched noses, the clan cheered, "Poppypaw, Hoppaw! Poppypaw, Hoppaw!"