Chapter 22: "Gleampaw and a Fox"

Gleampaw bounced with joy as she and Moonstar headed out into LeafClan's territory. Deciding that Gleampaw needed Moonstar as her mentor, she wound up having another apprentice. Sure Moonstar had wanted to take it easy for a few moons, and possibly raise another litter of kits, but Gleampaw needed Moonstar as her mentor. StarClan sent Moonstar that message for a reason, and Moonstar was determined to find out why Gleamkit knew more than a cat her age would. Jolting Moonstar out of her thoughts Gleampaw mewed, "I feel like I've seen this place before."

Looking around Moonstar figured out that they were standing near the SquirrelClan border. She's never been out of camp before... Moonstar pondered. "Are you sure you recognize this place? Maybe it was a dream you had, or you have vivid images from the stories Fireclaw, Lilacbreeze, Goldenpetal, and I have told you."

"Yeah, that's probably it." Gleampaw mewed, though she seemed unsure.

Trying to focus on her training Moonstar mewed, "Pretty soon you'll be attacking SquirrelClan with the rest of your Clanmates."

Clearly more excited now Gleampaw got in a battle-like position, "Yeah! I'll kill a SquirrelClan cat!"

"Not yet, but soon!" Moonstar purred.

______________ time skip _________

After giving Gleampaw a tour of the territory Moonstar was exhausted. They were on their way back to camp when they heard a noise. Turning towards where the sound came from Gleampaw mewed, "Gorsepaw and Swallowpaw! I know that's you!"

Hearing a growl a large red, white, and black creature creeped forward. It was a fox! "Unless something weird happened while we were touring the territory, I don't think that's Gorsepaw and Swallowpaw."

"Could we try to fight it?" Gleampaw asked, her eyes brimming with worry and fear. 

"We could try..." Moonstar mewed uncertainly. 

Leaping forward Moonstar slashed at the fox's face, while Gleampaw leaped on its back. Between swipes a Moonstar could see that Gleampaw was doing a great job fighting, despite not having any battle training. Momentarily forgetting what she was doing, Moonstar missed the fox and landed on the ground. With all of her voice Moonstar yelled to Gleampaw, "RUN!"

Gleampaw took off running towards the camp, and Moonstar couldn't see what happened after that. The fox stood over her and Moonstar felt a peirce through her neck. Then everything went black.