Chapter 11: "Apprentices and Warriors"

A gentle breeze drifted through the Leafclan camp, Moonstar and Fireclaw were licking their kits' fur. Fireclaw was cleaning Goldenkit, his tongue moving in a careful rhythm. Stormkit wriggled and whined, "Why do I have to look nice! I understand why other kits have to, because they want to impress the leader. But my mother is the leader!" 

Fireclaw purred, "You want to look good for your mother don't you? Moonstar worked very hard raising the two of you, the least you could do is be good warriors for Leafclan."

Goldenkit suddenly ran towards Moonstar's fur burying her face in Moonstar's fur. Stopping grooming Stormkit she asked the young she-cat, "What's wrong?"

Letting out a wail she mewed, "What if I don't want to be warrior?!"

Fireclaw took a step forward, comforting his daughter. "What to you want to be? You can't be a kit forever."

She calmed herself down, looking across the camp she mewed quietly, "I want to be Skywing's apprentice."

Moonstar purred, "Is that all?! Goldenkit, if Skywing wants you as an apprentice you can be her apprentice. Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

She jumped up with excitement, "Really?! I just thought that you wouldn't be proud of me Moonstar."

"Not proud? Skywing is my best friend, without her I'd go crazy! And she could definetly use your help around there, seeing as I'm always coming to her with my problems." Moonstar said to her daughter who was practically acting like she was appointed leader.

Goldenkit raced to Skywing, she mewed loudly, "Moonstar said I can become your apprentice if you want me to be!"

Skywing smiled at Moonstar and jokingly said, "Hmmm, let me think." she briefly paused, "Of course I want you as my apprentice, but the ceremony is today. You should told me sooner so that I had time to tell the other medicine cats and get some guidance from them."  

Lowering her head Goldenkit mewed, "I'm sorry Skywing."

Giggling and looking at Moonstar Skywing mewed, "Don't be sorry Goldenkit! I'm just a little stressed right now, but you'll be a lot of help!"

Purring Goldenkit puffed out her chest fur and walked to Moonstar. Smiling Moonstar asked, "How'd it go?"

"I'm gonna be a medicine cat!" Goldenkit shouted out.

Purring Moonstar leaped onto the cardboard box, "Let all cats big enough to jump the fence gather around for a clan meeting!"

The clan assembled around the cardboard box, Moonstar continued. "So today my two kits, Stormkit and Goldenki, will become apprentices!"

The clan cheered and Goldenkit and Stormkit came out from the cardboard box that was the little family's den. Moonstar smiled and mewed, "Stormkit, please come forward."

The little black tom ran forward and straightened up, Moonstar let a giggle slip out and continued, "Stormkit, do you promise to be a loyal apprentice to Leafclan and learn how to be a strong warrior."

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Goldenkit flinch at the mention of becoming a warrior, but she ignored it and heard Stormkit shout out, "Yes I do!"

"Then by the strength Starclan me, from now on until you earn your warrior name you shall be known as Stormpaw, your mentor shall be Foxholly." Moonstar meowed boldly.

Foxholly and Stormpaw touched noses, and then sat down next to each other in the crowd of cats. Moonstar called, "Goldenkit step forward."

Goldenkit slowly walked towards Moonstar, "Goldenkit you have informed me that you want to follow the path a medicine cat, do you promise to learn the medicine cat code and help Leafclan with knowledge about herbs?"

"Yes" Goldenkit said calmly.

Moonstar motioned Skywing forward, and Skywing said. "I may be young, but I don't have enough paws to keep up with all that goes on in the clan. I promise to train Goldenkit and help her to understand the ways of a medicine cat."

Slightly sad with the thought of her kits growing up, Moonstar mewed, "Goldenkit from this moment on util you earn your medicine cat name you shall be known as Goldenpaw."

The clan cheered, "Goldenpaw! Stormpaw! Goldenpaw! Stormpaw!"

Smiling Moonstar mewed, "And it is now time for two of our apprentices to become warriors. Arrowpaw, Eaglepaw step forward."

The two young toms stepped froward and stood beneath the cardboard box. "Arrowpaw, you have trained hard and have earned yourself a place with your fellow warriors. Do you promise to uphold the warrior code and protect Leafclan even at the cost of your life?"

The tom paused for a moment before studdering, "Y-yes"

"Arrowpaw, from now on you shall be known as Arrowheart in honor of your kind and loyal heart." Moonstar mewed with a slight edge in her voice.

Arrowheart joined his fellow warriors and Eaglepaw was left, "Eaglepaw, you trained hard and have earned yourself your warrior name. Do you promise to protect and defend Leafclan even at the cost of your life?"

Eaglepaw mewed with complete certainty, "I do!"

Admiring his courage Moonstar said, "From now on you shall be known as Eagle-eye for your sharp and useful sight."

The clan cheered, "Arrowheart! Eagle-eye! Arrowheart! Eagle-eye!"

Leaping down from the cardboard box Moonstar was satisfied with her loyal and helpful clan.