Chapter 26: "Scent of Death"

Coughing rose from the LeafClan camp, several cats were sick with Greencough. Moonstar was one of the healthy cats, but there were eight cats who were really sick. The eight sick cats were Specklenose, Bumblefoot, Sparrowswoop, Foxholly, Swallowpaw, Pigeonflight, Rippletail, and Shadespots. Goldenpetal and Skywing had suggested moving the sick cats out of camp, but Moonstar disagreed. 

All of LeafClan was worried, especially Moonstar. Why wouldn't Moonstar be worried? There were eight cats in the camp who were extremely sick! Despite the sickness Moonstar tried to stay positive and hopeful. She couldn't let the Clan see her fear, especially the cats who were sick. The healthy cats were doing great at catching prey and patrolling, but it was still difficult. 

———————- TIME OF THE SKIP (TIME SKIP) ———————

It was a few sunrises later, six of the eight sick cats now hunt with StarClan. The only two actually left alive were Sparrowswoop and Swallowpaw. Sparrowswoop had barely lived, and was still fairly weak, although Green Cough free. Swallowpaw made an incredibly quick recovery and was now back in training! Despite LeafClan's loss every thing seemed well, until one day.

Moonstar, Gleampaw, Clover, Hopstep, and Jewelfur were out hunting. The patrol had already collected five mice, three shrews, and a rabbit. Moonstar mewed, "We should probably go back to camp now."

Although Clover seemed to have different ideas, "No, we should go hunt in the Far Alley. We haven't hunted there in so long!"

"That's because Lilyseed and Flarestorm sighted twolegs there." Hopstep mewed.

Clover scoffed, "So?! You're not afraid of some stupid twolegs, are you?"

"No, I'm not!" Hopstep puffed up his chest. 

Moonstar was getting annoyed with Clover taking charge when she shouldn't have been. For one, Moonstar was leading this patrol. For two, Moonstar was the leader of the whole entire Clan! Can't Clover just respect that there are other cats in LeafClan with more authority than her?! Moonstar flattened her ears and turned to Clover, "We do as I say, and I say we go back to camp with the prey we have!"

Clover mumbled something under her breath as Moonstar started to head back to the camp, at least she's some what agreeing with me... Moonstar's thoughts trailed off. Clover still looked mad as the patrol walked towards the camp, her mouth scrunched weirdly around the prey she was carrying.

Just then a sour scent hit Moonstar's nose, her nose wrinkled in disgust. She told Gleampaw, "Stay here and watch the prey, we're going to investigate that smell."

The patrol walked in the direction of the smell, when they walked into the alley they say something shocking. There was a cat, dead and covered with blood and scars. The only trace of what happened to the cat was a blood soaked tuff of fur.