Chapter 40: "No Longer A Secret"

Stretching her muscles, Moonstar stood up from her nest. She was about to exit the den when suddenly Gleampaw burst in, Goldenpetal and Lilacbreeze hot on her tail. “We tried to stop her, but she wanted to see you.” Lilacbreeze mewed sheepishly.

“It’s fine, Lilacbreeze.” mewed Moonstar.

Gleampaw started rubbing her face against Moonstar’s shoulder, the apprentice was almost the size of Moonstar now. “I’m so glad your okay!” Gleampaw purred, “Goldenpetal told me that you told her about you know who.”

Moonstar laughed nervously, “Yeah, I couldn’t bare essentially lying to my own daughter anymore.”

“Who’s ‘you know who’?” inquired Lilacbreeze.

Taking a deep breath Moonstar mewed, “You remember a while back when I mentioned to you that Gleampaw was the reincarnation of my mother, Doefoot? Well, Doefoot was a murderer and killed six cats, all apparently for no reason. StarClan told me that somehow Doefoot will be of big help to LeafClan, somehow.”

“Is this true Goldenpetal?” Lilacbreeze’s eyes were wide with worry.

Sighing, Goldenpetal mewed, “Gleampaw, Skywing, Uno, and Moonstar know more than anyone else, I don’t know much more than you do.”

“We should get Uno and Skywing,” mewed Gleampaw, “then we can talk more.”

The rest of the cats nodded in agreement, and exited Moonstar’s den. “Goldenpetal and Lilacbreeze, could you two fetch Skywing while Gleampaw and I get Uno?”

The she-cats nodded, and padded towards the medicine den. Just as Gleampaw and Moonstar turned to go and find Uno, Fireclaw trotted up to Moonstar, his gaze full of love and worry. The tom licked Moonstar’s cheek, and buried his face into Moonstar’s fur, “I heard you lost a life! What happened?!”

Smiling awkwardly at Gleampaw, Moonstar mouthed, “Sorry.”

Returning her gaze back to Fireclaw, the leader mewed, “I’ll explain later, but right now Gleampaw and I need to go fetch Uno. It’s of high importance, Goldenpetal and Lilacbreeze are fetching Skywing right now.”

“Why do you need to speak with Uno?” Fireclaw asked, “Please tell me you not keeping secrets from me! Let me come with you, whatever needs to be discussed with Uno, Skywing, Gleampaw, Goldenpetal, and Lilacbreeze can be discussed with me as well.”

Gleampaw and Moonstar exchanged a glance, Moonstar nodded her head towards Fireclaw, as if she was asking Gleampaw whether or not Fireclaw should join in on their conversation. Gleampaw nodded, her gaze calmer than usual. “Alright, you can come with us, but don’t tell me I didn’t warn you.”

The more the merrier! Moonstar thought, annoyed, why not invite SquirrelClan while we’re at it?! Fireclaw eyed Gleampaw wearily, but the apprentice’s gaze was still calm. Doefoot must be aware of what’s going on, Moonstar thought. “Come on, let’s go and get Uno.”

Moonstar trotted towards Uno, who was talking to his apprentice, Fallowpaw. Taking notice of Moonstar, Fallowpaw mewed, “Hey Moonstar!”

Nervously, Moonstar smiled, “Uh, hello. Could Uno speak with me for a little bit? It shouldn’t take too long.”

“We’ll practice huntin’ later, Fallowpaw.” Uno promised.

The apprentice nodded, and run off towards her brother, Rushpaw. It was hard for Moonstar to believe that both Goldenpetal and Stormnose had kits of their own, they’re so grown up. Turning her attention to Uno, Moonstar mewed, “I needed to talk to you because Lilacbreeze and Goldenpetal were curious about,” Moonstar paused, and lowered her voice, “Doefoot.”