Epilogue

"Awww! No! Please continue! Please! Please! Please!" whined Brindlekit.

Her brothers, Lochkit and Smokekit, joined the muted tortoiseshell kit in whining. Mistyleap purred, "We're sorry you three, but Condorheart and Oakripple are almost home from the gathering."

"Yes," mewed Crowstrike, "and you three must be tired after hearing our story."

Adjusting herself, Snowmoss mewed, "But we're glad you enjoy the story!"

"I have a question." Lochkit stated, "How do you all know so much about Moonstar? I mean, even down to every little thing she said!"

Smiling, Snowmoss mewed, "We've told this story many times, and were told it ourselves as kits."

Smokekit mewed, "I really liked the way you three told it! With Snowmoss narrating, and Mistyleap and Crowstrike saying what each cat said."

Mistyleap purred, "The story has been told like that for generations, it's become almost a tradition. As kits, or young apprentices, the Clan elders tell you and your littermates the story of Moonstar."

"I remember when I was first told the story," Crowstrike mewed thoughtfully, "My littermates, Eveningmist and Flowerpaw, and I spent an entire day listening to the story! It was extremely entertaining,! It was told by the 4 Clan elders, the 3 queens, and occasionally the medicine cat if he wasn't busy. So, we had 7 or 8 cats telling us the story!"

Curiously tilting her head to the side, Brindlekit asked, "What was it like for you Snowmoss?"

"While I didn't have so many cats telling me the story, two of the elders, my mother, and Birchstar told me the story." Snowmoss purred, "Birchstar was such a great Fireclaw! I mean, he was good at some of the other cats too, but his take on Fireclaw was, and probably still is, the funniest thing I had seen in my entire life!"

"Hey!" teased Crowstrike.

"Not to say that your performance isn't good, Crowstrike." Mistyleap teased the tom, "When I heard it nothing too special happened. I mean just the Clan elders told me the story, but when Dayshine spoke for Moonstar, I felt like Moonstar was actually there and speaking through Dayshine."

Looking towards the fence Snowmoss noticed the Clan returning from the gathering, "Looks like Condorheart and Oakripple are back."

The two cats trotted up the elders, their kits tackling them as they got near. Oakripple mewed sweetly, "Come on you three, let's head to sleep. You can hang out with Snowmoss, Mistleap, and Crowstrike more tomorrow."

The kits followed their mother towards the nursery, and Condorheart approached the elders, "Thank you for watching them, Oakripple and I really appreciate it!"  

"No problem." mewed Mistyleap.

Condorheart walked away, towards the nursery. Crowstrike turned towards the elders den, and mewed, "Come on Mistyleap and Snowmoss, we should get some rest. I suspect that tomorrow will be a busy day for us."

Mistyleap turned to follow Crowstrike, and Snowmoss stared at the nursery for a moment before joining Mistyleap and Crowstrike in the elders den, and settling down in her nest. She closed her eyes, and drifted into sleep. The prophecy Moonstar had received all those moons ago, echoed in her head, "Dawn will end, only if the Moon rises..."