Like a sister...

I sat on my velvet green couch, looking over at the retro clock I had hanging in the entrance of my kitchen. It was officially 11pm and like clock work my stomach let our a growl.

I had been expecting to spend the night eating some New York pizza watching some cheesy rom-com with Adam. It was our favorite genre to watch. We'd sit there and make fun of the cheesy scenes, specifically the crying/kissing in the rain scenes. It was surprising how many romances had scenes like that.

But Adam had never shown and after trying to call his cell a couple times and getting Adam's voicemail I started to worry.

It wasn't like Adam not to show up. Sure he'd been late before but never this late!

I ignored my rumbling stomach and grabbed my phone once again dialing his number. It rang over and over again and the more it continued to just ring I started to get anxious. I bit at my fingernails in a nervous habit. 

My brain wandered to all places. What could have happened? A car accident? Though Adam never really drove as he's pretty much too rich to not have a personal driver. But still a car accident was possible. Though he did walk or taxi in sometimes. 

Could he have fallen asleep? Maybe work was busy for him today and he was exhausted. He was always in meetings and was always on work phone calls. Maybe something held him up at work as well?

Before my mind can wander anymore I heard his voice on the other end.

"Hey Bunny, what's up?" He answered so nonchalantly. 

I can hear him shuffling on the other end of the phone. It sounded like there was mellow music and a lot of people in the background. Maybe he was at work or something..

"Adam? Are you okay?" I ask, uncertain.

"Yeah of course! Sorry it's a bit loud in here. Nicole took me to this new club opening in town. Actually I have to bring you here. It isn't the type of club you're picturing in your head.. it's a really chill vibe with great music, fancy champagne. I think it's right up your ally." He sounded distracted even as he talked to me. 

I wasn't going to lie.. my heart kind of sank to my stomach at the mention of Nicole, Adam's girlfriend. Not only was he with the women I envied so dearly but he had forgotten about me for her.. ouch.

"Oh. Well that sounds just..great! I was just checking in and making sure you were good. Umm- well I was about to go to bed! I'll talk to you later. Night!" With that I quickly hung up. 

I was utterly embarrassed. My cheeks felt red with heat from it as well. I no longer felt hungry I just felt disappointed. I had been feeling like I was losing Adam for awhile. It was hard just being his friend when I fell for him but once he got into a relationship it was almost impossible to be the odd girl bestfriend on the side. I knew he'd eventually drift away and stop hanging with me so much or even talking to me but I didn't think it'd happen this soon.

Sure Adam had been in relationships in the past but this one felt way different. This one felt very serious and I could tell Adam had really fallen for Nicole..

~~

The morning came too soon. Luckily it was a Sunday but that didn't matter. I knew if I didn't get out of bed early I'd stay in bed all day moping over Adam.

I had even set my alarm for 9am before bed last night to make sure I did wake up at some point. Luckily it was 8:30.

I got up, running my hand through my messy bed hair. I wrapped it in a quick messy bun and stood up putting my slippers on. 

I was mid yawn, walking to my kitchen to start a pot of coffee when I couldn't help but scream at the sight of someone in my kitchen. It was a short scream until I realized the mysterious person in my kitchen was Adam.

He was wearing some black joggers and a tight gray tshirt that showed off his muscular body.

"What are you doing here?" I basically yelled. I held my chest in a dramatic way to show him he had indeed scared me.

"You gave me a key! And I bough stuff to make breakfast! I also started the coffee but I've been looking for the waffle maker for about 20 minutes- or so it feels like that." He was still looking through cabinets as he talked.

"It's the cabinet to your left, behind the french press." I murmur, crossing my arms over my chest.

I was used to Adam seeing me at my worst but I was also wearing a white t-shirt and going comando so I was trying my hardest to hide it. It just felt weird for him to see the outline of my nipples now that he was in a relationship.

"Thank you." I watched as he fished it out and plugged it in before going back to making his homemade waffle mix. I wasn't sure how he made it but his waffles were always the best. Not having ate dinner last night my stomach growled in hunger.

"You still didn't answer my question, why are you here?" Figured at this time on a Sunday Adam would be with Nicole at some fancy breakfast place sipping on mimosas or something.

He sighs, looking at me with knowing eyes.

"I'm here because of last night.. I didn't mean to forget about you. I feel so bad!" I had hoped he hadn't remembered so I can spare myself that embarrassment but he had remembered unfortunately.

"It's fine... what you ended up doing sounded way more fun then being here with me." Yeah I was throwing myself a pity party but Adam had ditched me and he had ditched me for Nicole out of all people.

"No Bunny, cmon." I could tell he felt bad and it was hard to stay mad at Adam.

"It's fine! I swear."

"Let me make it up to you! Do you have plans tonight?" His smile was always so cute and cheeky, he looked excited asking me.

"You're already making it up to me now." I gesture at the homemade waffle mix.

"This doesn't count. Nicole and I are going to that new sushi place that opened around the block. Come with us. Dinner on me." I knew for a fact he saw nothing wrong with this but I definitely did.

"I am not going to third wheel your date!"

"It's not a third wheel! Just please come! You can bring someone!  A date or Vanessa even!" Vanessa was our mutual friend. She was like my second best friend- also the one person that knew of my feelings for Adam.

I frown.

"Nicole doesn't even like me." I point out. He rolls his eyes.

"She loves you! She thinks you're so funny! And she knows you're like a sister!" My heart did sink quite a bit when Adam referred to me as a "sister" but I tried to ignore that heart-wrenching feeling going on in my chest.

I knew he was lying about Nicole liking me. And by the look on his face I can tell he knew I knew he was lying.

"Fine. I'll come and I'll bring someone along." I said defeated. I knew no wasn't an option, not with Adam being as stubborn as he is.