Engaged

I got to Adam parents house a little late. I knocked on the front door and was greeted by Adams father, John. "Oh Allison!" He immediately brings me into a hug like he always did. "Hey John, how are you?" I ask, smiling at him. "Really good! Come in!" He moves aside and let's me walk into his beautiful home.

"Allison! I'm glad you came!" Rebecca, Adams mother greeted me as well with a hug. "Hi Rebecca." I smile at her. "I like what you did with the house." I say looking around. She always redecorated. This time the walls were gray and the room had a more modern look to it. "Come in the kitchen you can put your stuff down." She says, grabbing my hand and leading me into the kitchen.

"I made some glazed carrots." I say sitting  down the pot of carrots. "Oh thank you dear!" She smiles kindly at me. "Adam can you get in here and set the table!" His mother calls out. Adam pops into the kitchen. "Fine." He looks over to me and smiles. "Thanks for coming." He gives me a side hug.

I grab some plates from the cabinet and walk over to the table with him. "So when will Nicole be here?" I ask. "She's running a little late." And I thought I was late.

"When are you going to tell your parents your engaged?" I ask. "Or even dating?" I mean what kind of son doesn't even tell his parents that he's been dating a girl for a year?! I mean I kinda understand why Adam doesn't want his parents to know. I'm not going to lie, they can judge a person pretty fast. "You're in engaged?" My eyes go wide and I turn around to Adams mother who had a huge smile on his face. "Well why didn't you tell me you were engaged son!" She asks, crossing her arms.

"Mom-" he started to talk but she cut him off. "Never mind that! I'm so happy for you too! I knew you guys would one day get together!" She takes me and Adams hands in both of hers. "Uh.." I was very confused.

"Me and Allison aren't engaged mom.. It's me and her." He points awkwardly towards Nicole who had just walked in with his father. They had both shocked looking faces on. "Oh." She drops our hands. "Uh hi I'm Nicole it's nice to me-" Nicole was cut off by Rebecca. "Allison why don't we go back into the kitchen and finish dinner?" Adams mother gave me a look that said just to go with it.

I look over at Adam who just had a shocked expression on his face. "Okay.." I whisper before following Rebecca out of the dining room and into the kitchen. As soon as we were out of sight from everyone, Rebecca immediately started talking. "He's engaged to her? What happened to you and him?" she asks crossing her arms.

"There has never been a 'me and him'." I point out. "Ya but its so obvious that you guys love each other?" I bite my lip. "I'm dating someone and he's marrying her. There's never been any type of relationship like that between us." I admit. She sighs. "She's not even right for him.." She shakes her head. "He loves her and she seems to love him." I shrug.

"I know my son, and he does not love her." She runs a hand through her dyed black hair. "I should talk to him. Make sure he knows that he's making a huge mistake!" She says. "No! Don't! You can't just to pick the person you want your son with. He has to choose and he did." I lick my button lip, thinking. "You need to let him be." I add.

She stares at me for a second. "Fine but he's making a mistake." She mutters.