Overthinking

This chapter is dedicated @magicrainbowclub to who made my new cover!! Thanks Aniqa!

~~~

Life hasn't been the same since Nicole decided to sue my husband. I feel like there's nothing I can do to fix it either. It feels horrible to sit around feeling useless, and on top of that, seeing your husband completely stressed out.

So I spent everyday making his day just a bit better. I kept making his favorite food and desserts, renting his favorite movies, wearing lingerie around the house which is something I'd never do but under the circumstances I'd do just about anything to make things right.

But nothing seemed to work. He hadn't really told me much about the whole case. Whenever I asked him about it, he'd just shrug it off and change the subject.

"I better get home." I mutter to Katie, putting a tip on the table.

She had invited me to lunch, which wasn't something I had been doing lately. I normally did go out with Katie a lot whenever I got off of work but as of lately I've been so busy that I hadn't had time.

"Awe, are you sure? I was thinking we hit up the bar." She points out. "Sorry, I cant. I have to go to a few stores and then the grocery store to get stuff for dinner." I shrug.

I felt bad for leaving so soon but I felt anxious to get home before Adam did to make dinner and be ready for any news he had.

"Fine. But don't forget to take care of yourself now and then Allison." She says, looking concerned.

"What? Of course I take care of myself!" I say as if what she was saying was completely off. But I wasn't quite sure of that.

"Allison, I know you love Adam. I do too, he's my friend.. but-" she pauses.

"I don't want to say it- but sometimes you care more then he does." She says.

I frown, completely taken off guard. More then he does? That made zero sense. Of course Adam cared just about the same as I did, if not more.

"Adam and I have a perfect relationship. We care about each other more then any other ordinary couple." I argue.

She sighs, giving me a sad look. "I don't know. I'm not apart of your relationship with him. But I see it- I see how much you care for him, and I can't say the same for him Allison." I shake my head. "That's not true." I stand up, grabbing my bag. "You see it too Allison. Zack cared about you more then he does!" She yells out, a little too loud for a public restaurant. I glare at her before walking away, out of the restaurant.

~~

"Hey bunny- I'm not quite sure where you are but you aren't answering your phone. Are you okay? I called Katie and she said you weren't with her. Call me soon, I'm worried." I listened to my voicemail from Adam. He had called and texted a number of times but I couldn't help but want to ignore it

"Can I get my check?" I ask as the waiter passed by the table. "Of course." He gave a polite smile and hurried off.

I looked down at my glass, stirring the wine when I moved the cup to my lips. I drank the last bit of my favorite wine before sitting the glass, empty in front of me.

I had every intention to go straight home and get dinner ready when I left lunch with Katie. But everything she had said to me, had gotten to me. It wasn't much either, but it was enough to make me rethink my whole entire life as if it was a huge mess. I felt like everything was organized, I knew where I was and where I was going before Katie basically forced me to overthink it all.

If you understand what I mean.

But I know who I am, and what I want in life. It's the reason I broke off my engagement to Zack, yet I feel like somehow, I'm still living someone else's dream, someone else's version of life, an ideal life for someone else but not me?

How was that possible? How does one conversation that only lasts maybe 2 minutes, turn your whole life around?! That can't be possible but yet I felt like as if- as if it is.

"Thank you." I murmur to the waiter as he sits my check in front of me. He smiles and walks off.

I look down at the bill which was a lot more then I had originally thought it was.

I look down through my bag, realizing that my card was not with me, and I didn't have much cash since I used it on lunch.

I shake my head at myself, realizing who I'd have to call.

I dialed Adam, impatiently waiting for him to answer.

"Allison..." he sighs in relief as soon as he answers.

"Hey.." I trail off, guilt washing over me. "Where are you?" He asks, a sudden anger in his voice once he realized I was completely fine.

"I went out for dinner and realized I don't have my card.." I can basically hear his frustration. "Fine, where are you?" He asks, already knowing what he needed to do. "Burners." I whisper, already cringing at his response.

"Are you serious?! Why are you at Burners?" It was a very expensive restaurant, nothing Adam couldn't afford but the fact that I decided to come here on my own was probably the reason he was mainly asking. Besides although Adams my husband, I have my own job and pay for myself despite his constant argument against it, I still can't afford this place on my own. "I don't know! I just am! So can you please come?" I beg.

"I'll be there in a minute." With that he rudely hangs up.

I sigh, putting my face in my hands.

"Allison?" I freeze, my heart pounding in my chest as I glance up at a familiar face, a face that unexpectedly had a smile on it.

"Zack?" I was stunned.

Zack was in front of me. Tall, handsome, and with a slight stubble.

He looked great. Next to him stood a beautiful women who I'd probably mistake for a model. She had brown curly hair and curves that I couldn't spot on myself.

She wore a blue tight dress that went past her knees, some black heels and bright red lipstick.

I stand up, feeling obligated to give him a hug. "I can't believe it's you." He says, sounding just as shocked as I felt.

He returned my hug, a pretty big smile on his face.

I was happy to see him too. The last time I saw him was the day I left him, which wasn't a pleasurable memory.

"How are you?" I ask. "I'm good." He nods.

"What are you doing in town?" I ask, glancing at the girl next to him.

"Well my fiancé had some work to do down here, so we figured we'd make a trip of it." He shrugs.

"Wow! Fiancé? Congratulations!" I beam, genuinely happy for them, especially him.

"Yeah, this is Aniqa. Aniqa, Allison." He introduced us. "Nice to meet you." I shake her hand, giving her a smile. I felt very self conscious around her for some reason. Maybe because I wasn't dressed as fancy as she was or maybe because because she was genuinely more prettier then me.

"Nice to meet you too! Zack told me a little about you!" She says, making me slightly frown.

In my mind, I can only think about bad things Zack would tell her, but I knew Zack wasn't that type of person so I quickly shrugged it off.

"Well we should probably get going, but it was great to see you again Allison. Maybe we can meet up for coffee or something before I leave town?" Zack asks. I hesitated but nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, totally. I'll give you my number." I quickly grab my small notebook and pen out of my bag, writing down my number and handing it to him. "Okay, well bye." He smiles before grabbing his fiancés hand and walking away.

I sigh, sitting back down at the table. How weird and awkward.

Totally an unexpected moment. Especially seeing him when I was completely alone, drinking wine by myself!

How pathetic.