Counseling

"Hey, are you here?" I ask into the phone, getting out of my car and walking up to the building. "Yup, please hurry." Adam whispers into the phone as if he was a kid scared alone. "Why?" I ask, picking up my pace towards the elevators. "Some couple across from me is fighting about there sex life and it's so cringy." He says in a low whisper, obviously trying not to catch the couples attention. "Okay I'm coming up now." With that I hung up the phone.

I pushed the 3rd floor on the elevator and silently waited.

I'd never think in a million years that I'd be taking marriage counseling sessions with Adam.

I knew it was worth a chance to better our marriage which hadn't been going the best, but I was still feeling a bit unsure of it.

I got to the waiting room area, spotting an uncomfortable Adam sitting across from the fighting couple that didn't look that much older then Adam and I.

Adam looked relived when he saw me. I hurried to him, sitting next to him and pecking his lips.

"How was work?" I ask. He shrugs. "It was okay. How bout you?" He asks, adjusting himself in his seat. "Well I have a client who wrote this really good book full of short stories that are pretty awesome but she thinks that it's too much to publish so she's kinda refusing it." I shrug. "But I'm hoping to break her." He nods, giving me a smile. "Well at least you're doing good and you're happy with your job."

I knew Adam would say otherwise about his own job. On a normal bases, he loves what he does but with all the recent events, it's probably hard to enjoy it for him.

"You're job is going to get better, I promise." I whisper, grabbing his hand in mine. He gives me a warm but sad smile, as if he didn't believe it but was glad I did.

"So when is it our turn?" I ask, looking around the full room of couples waiting for some counseling.

"We should be next." He says as if it relieved him. "I feel uncomfortable here." He murmurs. "Same, but we have to do this." I point out. He nods in agreement although rolling his eyes afterwards.
I shake my head at him, looking away at my surroundings. There was more couples then most here. I really didn't expect for so many people to actually need this counseling stuff. It gave me a reassuring feeling knowing Adam and I aren't the only couple that actually need this.

It's healthy to have rough patches in relationships. Well at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself of.

"Teslows?" I sit up with Adam as our name is called. It was our turn.

I got a sudden weird feeling in my stomach. I felt slightly nervous. I had no idea what this counseling session would do for my relationship with my husband, but I was hopeful.

I followed Adam into the room where a lady sat on a chair across from a beige couch. The room wasn't too small, actually a pretty decent size, and was decorated nicely.

"Hi, I'm Kelly." The girl says, shaking Adams hand first before shaking mine. "Nice to meet you." I smile before taking a seat with Adam. "So you two are the Teslows, correct?" She asks. "Correct." Adam answers. She nods, smiling and writing something down.

I couldn't quite pin what she'd be writing down now but I could tell I wasn't the only one nervous and anxious and confused in the moment. Adam fiddled with his fingers and repeatedly tapped his foot on the ground.

I placed my hand on his knee, giving him a reassuring smile. He gives me a quick smile before looking back at the lady.

"So tell me about yourselves? When did you get married and what do you two do on a everyday day?" She asks, adjusting herself to look at us.

"Oh umm- well we got married 6 months ago.." I murmur.

"Is that too short of a time to be already going to marriage counseling?" I ask.

"Not at all, marriages tend to be most difficult the first year. Couples trying to settle in and learn to live with each other, there's more arguments than not." She says.

I wanted to sigh a relief but held it in, although I was completely and utterly relieved.

"Anyways, so Adam what is it you do everyday?" She asks, looking at Adam who looked a little taken off guard by the question, obviously distracted by something else although this was her second time asking.

"Oh, well I have work 5 days of the week, so usually I'll get up and go to work. Allison works as well but her hours are less. So usually when I get home she's there. We eat dinner, do our thing, I guess. And umm-" he rubs his chin, thinking. "I don't know just pretty normal stuff." He shrugs, giving a slight laugh.

"And do you guys go out at all? Like on dates?" She asks.

"Not as much lately, things have been pretty busy." I shrug. She nods, writing something down on her notepad.

"And let's talk about your sex life, how is that?" She asks.

My eyebrows raised, completely taken off guard well Adam was stunned and when Adams stunned he starts clearing his throat a little too much, which he immediately started doing.

"Umm how do we answer that?" Adam asks, looking confused.

The lady laughs as if this was an expected question. "Well is it normal? Do you have sex on a regular or has it been a few weeks or months?" She asks.

I had no want to answer that question so I let it fall upon Adam, giving him an expected look to answer.

"Yeah, umm- yeah it's been a few days but- not weeks or months I assure you. And it's normal, it's good. I mean great- but like no-" I stop him there, grabbing his hand in mine. "She doesn't need the novel babe." I whisper, giving him a glare.

"That's good. It's important to be able to have a sexual part of the relationship. And how about kids? Do you have any yet? Or are you trying?" She asks.

"Adam has a baby from his first marriage, we get him every other week." She nods. "And are you guys trying to have any kids together? At all in the future?" She asks.

"No I don't believe so." Adam answers, making me feel uneven.

Every part of me wanted to speak up but I stayed quiet. I had no idea how I'd argue against him about the whole 'having kids or not' thing. It takes two people to want to have a kid.

"And your at an agreement with that Allison?" Kelly asks.

I gulp down the lump in my throat, glancing at Adam who was staring at me, waiting for my answer.

"No." I mutter, feeling defeated.

"What?" Adam asks, confused.

"Okay, so it's obvious we have some communication issues." Kelly murmurs, writing more down. "We'll have to work on that." She adds.

Although Adam and I weren't listening. Adam was still starring at me, giving me a look that read "why didn't you tell me" which was understandable.

I looked away from him, down at my hands.

"So before our session ends I have some things you two need to work on before the next session. I want you two to start going out more together or at least make time to sit down and chat about your days at least once everyday. I also want you two to keep maybe a journal to write down your progress, its a keep sake so you won't have to show me or anything. And please, the one thing I ask everyone of my clients, do not argue outside of this room about things we talk about in this room." She laughs.

"Okay." I nod, giving a fake smile, although half of what she said I'm pretty sure went through one ear and out the other.