The Challenge

Stella's POV

Two weeks later....

I've been so busy with the preparations for the fashion show. I called the caterer, the DJs, and the deco committee. I've been arranging the place. Marc says we should do it at Crightons Hotels. It's our family friend's hotel. He says the function rooms there are quite big. They called me an hour ago to confirm. And they're schedule is clear. We got the slot. I'm just waiting for the caterer, DJs, and the deco team. They're still checking their schedules.

"Stella, I brought you some bagels and a cup of coffee." I heard Kate say while setting the food on the other side of my desk.

"Thank you, Kate. Really kind of you." I smiled at her sincerely.

"No problem, you're my friend. What are friends for?" We laughed together until I heard my brother enter.

I glared at him and his new girlfriend. God dammit! Just two weeks ago, I saw his girlfriend. The tall and creepy one that clings onto him. And a week ago, there's this new girl again. I heard her name is Rachel. And now, there's another new one. And she looks so daring. Her skirt is way too high and her blouse is so low. It's like she's a slut.

I'm really pissed. I'll really talk to him later.

"Hey, Stella. I'll be here if you need someone to talk to." Kate whispered to me. She knows how I feel about my brother and his girls.

I just smiled and hugged her. I thought about the idea she suggested. I should make Marc fall in love with someone. That one girl who can change him. The girl that will be with him forever. I want the girl to be like Kate. She's strong, talented, kind, and decent. What if I make him fall in love with Kate? Hmmm...that's a good idea. But I remembered what Kate said. She doesn't believe in love already after graduating. I want to ask what happened but I don't know if she's ready.

"Uhm...Kate, can I ask you something later after work? It's kinda personal." I asked her.

"Sure. You can trust me." Kate said smiling.

After work...

I waited for the other employees to leave. Marc's still in his office finishing something. I walked to Kate's table and asked," Kate, please don't be mad if I'm gonna ask you. Why don't you believe in love?"

At first she was shocked but her face smoothened. "Can I trust you not to tell anyone?" She asked. I nodded and stared at her. I think she got the cue that I want to know.

"It happened weeks before graduation. I was in a relationship with Troy. I was actually still recovering from my parents death. They died three weeks before my graduation. After that, the incident happened. A week before graduation, Troy broke up with me. He said he wasn't serious with me in the first place. I thought we were really a couple. I thought he's the one. I was really mad and really sad. I cried until days before our graduation. Good thing my best friend was there for me. Anyway, I graduated and I said I'm far away from hell. I'm away from college and away from my nightmare. After that, I will never believe in love again. I never want to be hurt again." Kate said confidently.

"Wow...that's one hell of a week. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked."

"Nah it's okay...I got over it." She said smiling.

There's a long silence until Kate broke it. "I have to go. Bye Stella. See you tomorrow."

I just nodded and headed to Marc's office.

I barged in his office and saw him smooching with the girl he brought a while ago. They stopped when they saw me. My blood boiled and I clenched my fists.

"Out! Get out you bitch!" I shouted at the girl. She looked scared so she grabbed her things and went out of the office. Marc just looked at me speechless. After minutes of silence, he broke it off by saying, "I'm sorry you have to see us."

"Really? I don't know what hit you but who did this to you? Why do you bring other girls every week?!? Don't you see if they're hurt? They think you really love them, Marc. Why can't you settle down?" I asked him angrily.

"I want to enjoy. I don't want a serious relationship, Stella. I want to live my life."

"Live your life?!?!? I want you to be with a girl! A decent one. Not the slutty one!" I hissed at him.

"Stella.." I am beyond mad so I thought of the challenge.

"Marc, I have a deal. I want you to make Kate fall in love with you in four months. If you fail to do that, I won't be following your rules and orders here in the office. And you're never gonna have a sister. Think wise, Marc. If you still want me as your sister, do the deal. Goodbye, Marc."

And then I marched out of the office.

I actually felt good. I just hope Kate won't be mad. But I know Marc's gonna have a hard time in making Kate fall in love again. This should make him change. A hard to get girl.

I just hope this works. I decided to call Kate and tell her. I don't want to keep secrets from her. I dialed her number and waited for her answer.

"Stella!"

"Hey Kate!"

"Why did you call? Is there something wrong?"

"No. I just want to tell you something. It concerns you. I hope you won't be mad at me. The idea just hit my head. Sorry."

"What is it?"

"I made Marc do a challenge. I told him to make you fall in love with him."

"Why? Why me?"

"I know your past. I know you don't want to get hurt. But trust me. I just did that to make him change. I'm tired of him, Kate. I want him to change his attitude. I chose you because you're strong, kind, and hard to get. You don't believe in love so Marc would have a hard time making you fall for him. Are you mad?"

"I'm disappointed. But it's ok. I don't believe in love anymore so it's ok."

"Just don't fall in love, Kate. Although I would gladly like you to be my sister in law." I laughed.

"Stella! I don't like to be married to Mr. Arrogant. Although we can be sisters. We can be sisters anytime." We both laughed and said our goodbyes.

Marc's POV

I'm in my apartment right now, thinking about what Stella just said.

I want you to make Kate fall in love with you in four months.

Her voice keeps on replaying in my head. Kate's beautiful, kind, and funny. Well, that sounds so easy. I'll make her fall in love with me in a week. If I can do that to other girls, I sure can do that to Kate.