The Past

"Did you honestly think he loves you?" Isabella said. I wasn't able to speak. "We had a deal. To save his company from bankruptcy, he needed to break up with you and be mine after you say you love him." She said.

I looked at Troy in disbelief. Tears were forming and my heart's starting to ache. "Aww...little girl starts to cry. You really didn't know, did you? Looks like Troy used his sweet words to charm you."

"Is this true, Troy? That this is just a game?" He didn't speak. My blood started to boil.

"Is this true?!? Is this some kind of joke to you? I thought you loved me!" He still didn't speak.

"Goddammit Troy! Is she telling the truth?!?!?" I shouted angrily.

"Yes!" I couldn't believe it's true. I just walked away and tears started to fall.

"Kate! Come back! I'm sorry!" Troy called out. I hear his footsteps following me.

He caught up and grabbed my wrist. As I turned around, I slapped him.

"Kate, I'm really sorry. Please forgive me. I'm so sorry. I don't know why I agreed to the deal." He leaned to kiss me but I pushed him. He was too strong so he was still gripping my arms.

"Let go of me!!" My words fell on deaf ears. Troy's grip increased so I wouldn't run.

"Troy let go of me!!! You're hurting me! Let go of me you freaking bastard!! Ahhh!!!" I shouted while punching his chest.

Someone kept shaking me and calling my name. "Kate, wake up!" My eyes instantly flew open. I noticed my body was covered in sweat and my hands were shaking. I remembered how painful the break up was and it still hurt. Tears started to roll down my eyes.

"Shh..Kate, it's alright. Just a bad dream." I can't move my body and I can't even talk.

I continued to cry until God knew when. Marc tried to calm me down by saying, "It's gonna be alright. I'm here. I won't leave you."

I calmed down and found my voice. "Sorry about your shirt." I whispered.

"It's okay...you okay? You suddenly screamed so I woke up. I thought something happened to you." He said calmly.

"Yeah I'm fine..I've been having nightmares these past few weeks."

"Is it that bad? Your nightmares?"

"Yes...it's the same nightmare..reminds me of how stupid I was to fall for a guy."

"Wanna talk about it?" Marc asked.

Was I ready to tell him? Could I trust him?

"It's ok if you're not ready." Well maybe he needs to know so I better tell him.

"It's ok. I want to move on. I don't love him but the pain is still here."

"I'm all ears...you can stop if you want."

"I went to college and I was a shy girl. I was sad because Jason and I were separated. So when classes started, I never had a friend until the second week. Zara and I became best friends and soon people noticed me. Some of the girls called me a nerd coz I don't go to parties that much. I actually had a crush on the popular guy. Well months passed and that popular guy started to flirt with me. Being me, I gave in and went onto dates. Soon we became a couple." I stopped and inhaled, trying to control myself from crying again for the next part of the story. Marc was really listening.

"But a few weeks before graduation, my parents died. I was sad but not that sad. I just wished they were more affectionate to me. Few days after, I saw a girl flirting with Troy so I got mad. I walked towards them and I found out about their little secret. Troy and I's relationship was just fake. He made me fall in love just to save his company. He just agreed to the deal."

"Troy? Troy West? That dude who just had a meeting with us??"

"Yes...that's why I was not myself. I was stunned to see him. I never expected I would see him again."

"Is that the reason why you ran to the restroom? And why you never liked talking about college?"

"Yeah...this is why I swore not to love again." Marc just nodded and hugged me. And I started to sob again. "Shhh...it's ok..I'm here. I won't leave your side. I won't let anything or anyone hurt you." We pulled away and Marc said, "Cry it all out...I'm here to be your crying shoulder." And indeed I cried again.

"Hush..." Marc pulled me closer and caressed my hair. "Just sleep..." I heard him whisper before I fell asleep.

Marc's POV

I watched Kate sleep. I pulled her closer to me as if she's a teddy bear. As soon as I recalled what Kate said that it was Troy West who broke her heart, my blood boiled. How could he do that to a lovely lady? I mean, I admit that Kate's beautiful and hot. She's bright and talented.

I wonder why Troy appeared now. Could he be back for Kate or is it just purely business? Well if he's back for Kate, I won't let that happen because Kate is mine. I will protect Kate from any harm no matter what. I will heal her broken heart and make her believe I'm not like any other men.