The Dinner

Kate's POV

Well the week went well. It's busy but fun. Some clients wanted to branch out from our shops.

It's Friday and we have already left the office. Here I am sitting in Marc's car. I actually haven't thought about Troy since he appeared. Work really helped me forget about him.

"Hey, what are you thinking?"

"Nothing...just nervous."

"Hey...don't be nervous. My parents will like you. Don't worry, they're very funny. Plus Uncle Loyd is there to entertain us. We can escape them and stay outside."

"You sound like you're my boyfriend. And don't walk out on your family. You're very lucky to have one."

"Why thank you. Ok we're here."

I immediately looked out the window. I saw a wide field, farm, stables, and a big house.

"Wow.." I'm totally speechless.

We pulled up behind Stella's car. Marc opened my door and offered his hand. I took it and got out.

"Hey Kate!! Ready?" I nodded and she grabbed my hand and dragged me to the house.

"Mom! Dad! We're here!" She shouted.

The door opened to a middle-aged man and woman. They look surprisingly young.

"Stella! Good to see you here! Well who do we have here?" The mother said.

"Oh...I'm Kate Jones, mam. Stella's friend and employee of your company. Nice to meet you." I said.

"Oh..nice to meet you too. Call me Jane and call him Sean. Oh hi Marc." Jane gestured her husband beside her. I smiled and nodded.

"Let's get inside. Loyd's inside waiting." Sean said.

We all went in and I saw their beautiful house. It's simple but elegant. The house is big, two floors, and probably has three to four rooms. We entered the living room and saw a man sitting there. He's wearing a blue checkered polo and jeans. He looked like Sean. Oh it's his brother.

"Howdy fellas!" He chuckled.

"Hey Uncle Loyd!" Both Stella and Marc said. He just laughed and looked at me.

"Well who is that lovely young lady?" He asked. I blushed.

I was about to respond but Marc butted in. "She's Kate. Stella and I's friend. She's also working in our company."

"Nice to meet you, sir." I said shyly.

"Call me Uncle Loyd. Nice to meet you too. Dinner's gonna be ready in about fifteen minutes." He said.

"Ok..I'll take Kate to her room." Marc said.

Marc led me upstairs and there were four doors. We walked to the farthest room. Marc opened the door and my jaw dropped. The room is huge. The decorations are country styled. There were pictures of horses hanging on the wall. I walked inside and explored.

"This will be our room." Marc suddenly said.

"What?"

"You'll be sleeping in my room."

"No! I can sleep with Stella!"

"Miley's here. She's sleeping with Stella as always."

I was about to ask who Miley is when Marc cut me out. "Miley's Uncle Loyd's daughter. She's just fifteen and she likes to stay with Stella."

Ugghh. Why do I have to sleep with this guy? Why????

"Unpack your things, maybe take a shower and wake me up when you're done." He plopped onto his bed and before I knew it, he's asleep.

Gosh. He's really tired.

I unpacked my stuff and grabbed my dress and fixed my hair. I put some powder on my face and put on some perfume. When I was done, I walked out of the bathroom and Marc's gone. Maybe he went down already.

I was about to put on my other shoe when someone said, "You ready?" I was surprised and got out of balance. I was about to fall down when two arms enveloped my waist.

"Sorry to surprise you. Here." Marc said behind me and let me go.

"Thanks."

We went down and saw a girl. Miley. She has golden brown hair and grey eyes. She has dimples which makes her cute.

"Hi Marc!" She shouted and went towards us. She turned to me when she was in front of us.

"Are you Marc's latest target?" I looked at her confused.

"News says that Marc's been dating different girls every week."

"Oh no. I'm just his friend. And I work in their company."

"Really? You're a designer?"

"Yeah."

"Oh right. I'm Miley."

"Kate."

"I'm starting to like you! Come on! Sit with me!" She grabbed my hand and dragged me to the dinner table.

The table's set and Sean, Jane, and Uncle Loyd came with the food. They put it on the table. We all sat down and started to put food on our plates.

"So..Kate, tell me about yourself." Sean suddenly said.

"There's not much to tell."

"Well my son brought you here, you must be special to him." Jane said.

I hesitated and felt shy.

"Come on, don't be shy. We won't bite. Tell us about you or your family."

I froze when I heard the word 'family'. I never really liked telling people about my family.

"I have an older brother. My parents died in a car accident a few weeks before graduation. My brother was the one who took care of me. Now, I've moved on, here I am. I'm working and I'm happy." I said I was happy but I wasn't really happy.

"I'm sorry for your loss..." I looked down and just smiled weakly. I noticed Marc was shocked. Guess he never knew. Then Marc squeezed my hand to comfort me.

"I'm sorry to drop the mood." I said.

"It's okay, dear." Uncle Loyd said.

Our dinner went well. We talked about hobbies and outdoor stuff. I helped Jane with the dishes. At first she didn't want me to but I insisted.

"Everyone, I'm gonna go get some fresh air. I missed this place." Marc said.

"Kate, sweetie, go with Marc. Go get some rest. I bet Marc wants to show you around tomorrow." I nodded and smiled. "Thank you..I had a wonderful dinner."

I followed Marc and went outside. I stared up at the sky, looking at the stars. I wondered how my parents were.

"Hey...what are you thinking?"

"Oh...just my parents."

"I'm sorry about that...I didn't know. What happened?" Marc said sadly.

"It's a few weeks till graduation when Dad and Mom got into an accident. They were coming home from some friends' night out when a car hit theirs." Marc moved a little closer to me.

"At least you have a loving brother."

"Yeah I know."

"But...what do you mean you moved on? You have a boyfriend?" I was caught off guard. I did expect he would be asking that. I can't speak. Marc noticed my response so he said, "Come here..."

He suddenly hugged me tightly. "I won't let anything hurt you, okay? I'll always be by your side." My heart melted by his words.

"Come on. Let's get you some rest. I want to show you the farm tomorrow." I just nodded and we headed for our room.