Chapter 8: The Butterflies Are Strong

Maggie's POV,

I was at the park with Angie and Alex, I went to pick her up from hers but she text me that they're at the park. I smiled, knowing that Angie preferred to be outside, than inside and on the iPad or iMac, which we own.

I'm happy that she isn't going to be one of those kids who can't survive without their phones. She's gonna grow out to be a vet or some thing to do with animals because she loves them so much, she won't even let Justin kill a spider when I'm petrified of it. Instead, she'll put it on a price of paper and takes it out. How cute, ew no.

"Was she good?" I ask and hand Alex the money for looking after Angie this week. She smiles and takes it putting it in her handbag.

"Of course, she always is, she's so calm its nice." Alex tells me and I smile.

"I'm happy she's always good for you, I'll be surprised once it changes," I giggle as does she.

"She kept talking about how Brad and you picked her up from school and how she was happy, and then that Justin's sister was there and that you had a barbecue." Alex tells me and I nod, approving everything she has said. "She's fond of Brad," She adds as if I didn't know.

"Yeah I know that, it's her dad, she's going to prefer him..." I sigh. It's not that I didn't want her to like Brad or him to be her dad. It's that Justin tries so hard with her and has done since she was very young and she still doesn't accept him well enough. I don't think I'm asking for much, I just want her to like him a little bit more, accept him at least as a step-dad because that's the figure he tries to portray.

"You don't sound like you like the idea," she seems concerned and I check on Angie, who is playing with one of her friends called Ellie.

"I do, just, I wish she was closer to Justin, after everything Brad has done I'm scared of what could happen you know?" I tell her and she nods.

"Understandable," she says and looks at Angie. I follow and see she's talking to someone, then runs and hugs him. It takes me a while to recognise those curls and that smile. "Fuck, he's really hot Mags," she then adds.

"Alex!" I gasp. "You can't say that about my ex husband!" I say and she giggles.

"I just did, I was just telling you the facts. I can see why Angie is so perfect now." She tells me and I nod, kinda agreeing and feeling a bit guilty after.

"Well, I'm gonna get Angie and go now alright? Thanks though," I stand up and take my handbag.

"Anytime, it's my job," she smiles and stays sitting down. I make my way over to Angie and Brad, and smile at the two. Brad seems a bit afraid and takes a step back, but I smile letting him know he can stay close to Angie if he likes.

"Wasn't expecting to see you here," I smile and Angie looks at me.

"Mummy!" She runs up to me and cuddles me. I smile and pick her up slightly.

"I was walking to my car, just saw Hanna you know?" He tells me.

"Good session? And Angie we need to start walking back now sweetie," she frowns but nods and stands on her own two feet.

"Yeah, and I can drive you home? I really would like to speak to you." He asks quietly. I nod. I don't know why I did, maybe it's because I want to speak to him too. I know I shouldn't of, especially when Justin is in Spain for a week and someone could see, but I don't care. I miss Brad and I want to know what he has to say.
-
"You've done well, her room looks amazing," Brad comes down chuckling, he's put Angie to bed, so I'm guessing she's asleep.

"A glass of wine? And thank you, we do try," I smile.

"Nah Mags I have to drive home," he says.

"No stay!" He looks at me confused. "I mean, there's a spare room, actually there four..." I quickly say.

"Still afraid of being alone huh? Still wanting a full house of people?" He asks and I bite my lip.

"You know me too well," I sigh. "So I can pour two glasses of red wine right?"

"Won't Justin mind?" He asks.

"He's in Spain, and if he does then he can tell me when he gets back." I say and pour the two glasses of wine and put them on the living room table. There's a candle lit on it too, Justin loves the smell of in scented candles so it's a habit of lighting one when we come in.  We sit on the sofa and I look at him as I take a sip.

"Can I show Angie where I live? Have her over?" He asks and I sit back and kick off my heels, putting my feet on the sofa and sitting opposite him cross legged.

"I don't know Brad,"

"Mags she's old enough to understand you know that. Please let me have her over night," he begs.

"But I'll be completely alone..." I tell him.

"When Justin gets back..." He says quietly and I know it's hard for him to say. "So you have him, please?" I can see how much it means to him.

"Alright fine, but I want Hanna to know, and if she tells me you've come to her drunk or something I swear this is the last time you see her." I make it clear and he nods smiling and takes a sip.
-
"This was such a good time," I giggle as I look at the photos from when we all went to America.

"Yeah, until you left to see your mum," he adds and I nod. I feel a bit sad, knowing I haven't spoken about her for a few years or visited her grave, being too caught up in myself. "Mags I'm sorry," he says and reaches for my hand, which I let him take.

"It's fine, I just haven't spoken about her for a little while," I intertwine our fingers. Maybe it's the wine, maybe it's because I miss him.

"If there's anything I can ever do for you you know I'm here right?" He checks and I smile. I lean up to him, and press my lips against his. He seems confused and doesn't kiss me back, but I need to know. I need to know if those butterflies are still there.

"Right now you could kiss me back..." I mumble against his lips, and he does, cupping me cheek and pulling me closer. I smile as I feel the butterflies strong, and pull him closer. I do still love him, I know it, and I've just gotten myself into a big mess. I pull away and smile.

"Your room is the first on the right, next to Angie's. There's an ensuite and towels if you wanna use it, night Brad," I say and stand up, walking up the stairs. I know that I must of left him confused, I'm confused myself.
++++++++++++++
oh mags you and Brad... Vote and comment!