twenty three

niall

"She's asleep right now. Can I take a message for her?"

"Well, am I speaking to a close relative or spouse? This information is on the need-to-know basis." The woman in the other side of the phone explained. Something serious must be happening because they had rung us twice already.

"Yes, this is her boyfriend." Just saying it made my hands clammy and my heart jump.

"Please tell her that her brother has escaped and we must find him before he finds her. She could be in danger if her location gets out." The woman informed me. I looked over at my sleeping beauty and thought of how I could tell her without scaring her too much.

I pushed the covers back and went into another room so Kaylie wouldn't hear anything if she would happen to wake up.

"How long has this be known? How did he get out?" I whispered into the phone.

"I can't tell you that. Like I said, need-to-know basis. Goodbye." The line went dead and my phone beeped signaling that the call had ended. I sighed and scratched my scalp. I've got to figure out how to tell her.

"My brother escaped?"

My eyes went wide and I dreaded turning around to face her tiny voice that was full of surprise. When I did turn completely around, I noted that she had brought the entire duvet with her outside of the bedroom.

"Go back to bed, princess."

"Tell me. I need to know."

"No, you really don't." I pushed. She raised an eyebrow at me, waiting for me to crumble. I knew that if I continue to linger in her stare I would eventually spill.

That or fuck her.

"Tell me!" Kaylie leaped towards me. I flinched backwards before turning on my heels and darted away from her curiosity. She was hot on my trail and even kept her pace in an area of the apartment she was unfamiliar with.

"Hey, ow!" I yowled when a random paperback connected with the back of my head. I picked up the book and read the cover. Macbeth. Of course this book would be her choice of weapon. Macbeth betrays his own King, just like this book did to me.

Kaylie had now jumped on my back with her legs wrapped around my waist. She pinched my earlobe with one hand and gripped my face tightly with the other.

"Tell me!" She demanded for the final time. I fell to my knees in surrender and she climbed around to rest in my lap.

"Yeah, Anthony escaped. No clue how or where he is but he may be after you again." I watched her close her eyes in disbelief and I took her hands in mine.

"I promise you, he'll never be able to hurt you again. I'll die before that happens, I love you too much.  I'll protect you with my entire life." She rested her head on my chest and we laid on the floor in the back of my apartment until she fell back asleep.

My entire life.

kaylie

I felt terrible. I know that soon enough that I was going to leave him and someone was going to get hurt, and I was just going to let it happen.

Anthony had arranged for a car to come pick me up and take me to a destination where he would want to meet me. I had to sneak out of the apartment after Niall fell asleep to avoid questioning. My stress and anxiety about this entire situation is sky bound.

"Little Marie, lets talk about what's going to happen next week." Anthony noted as he swirled the beer bottle. We were seated in an expensive restaurant on the upper east side.

"Next week?" I choked slightly. I understood that he didn't have much time to just hang around in New York while everyone was looking for him, but I would only have a week left with Niall.

"The plan is to get you out of here, one way or another. You'll take nothing with you and head out for Texas and stay with my wife and children until I return home."

"I'm an aunt?!"  I blurted out, obviously not picking up anything important from this conversation.

"Twin girls, but that's not the point. You'll be able to go shopping as soon as you arrive. New wardrobe, new identity, new house, new everything. You could stay in Texas, if you'd like, or return home."

I'm was still picking up nothing important from this conversation. All I can think of is leaving Niall. The guilt of breaking his heart completely. Again. I can't leave him. Not now, not ever. Anthony had a plan in his head. He didn't  know that I'm with Niall. He didn't know about the people I care about. He doesn't really know me at this point in time.

"Anthony, can you promise me something?" I asked him. He looked up from his food and raised an eyebrow.

"You need to promise you won't kill any of my friends. You know who they are." Anthony started laughing and wipes his hands on his napkin.

"I can't make promises like that. With something so intricate like this, the only promises that need to be made are ones that you will be keeping. Believe it or not, but your heart is bigger than your desire for vengeance. You care about certain people more than you do for revenge. Our mother was murdered by these people. I will end their entire bloodline or I will die trying. I lost you for fifteen fucking years, I'm ruining everything that they have for eternity."

Anthony was right, they tore the biggest gap in our family. My mother is gone because of them, I thought I lost my brother, I was a cold stone bitch because of them. My whole life was altered by them. Because of them.

"How am I going to disappear?"

"You're going to have to die."

crazy or what?
start crying now because she's going to die again lol