Chapter 2: Meeting The Team

"Rogue, Fury needs you," Hill said while knocking on the door.

"Coming!" I called. "Hill?"

"Yep?" she asked, a smile on her face. When the world wasn't going through a massive crisis, Hill was always smiling. I missed that smile when she was helping to save the world.

"You know all of the Avengers right?" I asked nervously.

Hill saw right through my exterior. "Rogue, they'll love you. Don't worry so much," she said with a wink.

'Right. Join a group of superheroes. Make them like me. Save the world. Easier said than done!'

***

"Thank you all for meeting me here, I have something very important to discuss," Fury said, addressing me and the Avengers, aside from Thor who was still on Asgard dealing with Loki.

"Yeah, well can you make it quick?" Tony Stark, aka Iron Man said, looking down at his phone. Stark categorises himself as a 'genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist', I just categorise him as an asshole.

"Can you pay attention, this is important," Nat scolded him, a look of contempt on her face. Everyone working at S.H.I.E.L.D knew Stark as the pain-in-the-ass that had, annoyingly, saved the world more than once. He rolled his eyes and put down his phone. Along with Stark and Nat, the other Avengers were Steve Rogers, aka Captain America – a Super Soldier and the world's first superhero. Bruce Banner, aka the really intelligent scientist that turns into a green rage monster when he gets angry. Clint Barton, aka Hawkeye, a secret agent who's worked at S.H.I.E.L.D for longer than Nat, and is exceptionally skilled with a bow and arrow, and Thor Odinson, Asgardian prince and God of thunder, brother of Loki.

"Everyone, this is Rogue," Fury said, gesturing to me. Agent Barton I knew personally, the rest of them I'd never met.

"Nice to meet you," Steve said, shooting me a kind smile.

"You too," I said softly.

"Rogue is now officially part of the Avengers initiative," Fury continued.

"Hold on, don't we have a say in this?" Stark asked, looking from Fury to me like he was missing something.

"You don't. You're just a consultant," Nat said with a wink at me.

"A consultant who saved the world by putting a nuke through a wormhole," he said, earning groans from Hawkeye and Banner.
"Does anyone have a problem with this?" Fury asked.

Everyone except Stark shook their heads with a smile.

"I don't get it. We know nothing about her, about her skills, anything," Stark said with a huff. I sat up in my seat and leaned toward him.

"Ok. Ask me anything," I said, challenging him.

"What are your skills?" he asked curiously.

"I can create force fields, control minds and electrocute someone with the slightest touch," I said, reeling off my powers on my fingers.

Stark looked impressed. "Is Rogue your real name?"

"Nope. It's a nickname given to me by Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, they've witnessed me killing someone and decided that I'm unpredictable... I think you'd call me a bad-ass?" I asked with a laugh.

"How did you get your powers?" He asked, undeterred.

"I... I was kidnapped when I was 12. They electrocuted me, among other things, and left me for dead. But they must have done something wrong because I woke up with these powers. Fury found me wandering the streets, electrocuting everything in sight," I said, casting my mind back to a time 12 years ago, a time that I had since tried to block out.

"What about your family? Friends?" Steve asked me. I expected Stark to butt in and ask me a different question, but like everyone else, he seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say.

"Um, Agent Frollo, the guy who kidnapped me, wiped my memory. I have no idea who I was before S.H.I.E.L.D found me – my family, my real name, nothing," I said, taking a deep breath as silence filled the room.

"Wait, 'Agent'?" Hawkeye asked. I had never told him this story before, only Fury and Nat.

"He worked for S.H.I.E.L.D," I answered, feeling the tears well up in my eyes. I hadn't told this story for a long time.

"I don't buy the mind control thing," Stark said, providing me with the change of subject that I needed.

"It's real," Hawkeye said, speaking from experience.

"Well I don't buy it. I mean, no offence Barton, but we've seen how easy it is for someone to get into your head," Stark said, referencing the fact that Hawkeye had once been under Loki's spell. "Maybe if she tried it on someone else, it wouldn't work?"

"Someone like you?" I asked with a smile, to which he shrugged. "Fine," I said, staring into his eyes from across the table, not breaking eye contact.

"You know Rogue, I want you to join the Avengers, I think we'd be lost without you," he said, his voice monotone, eyes glazed over and unfocused.

"Now, snap out of it," I said, immediately releasing him from my control, making him aware that I had been controlling his mind.

"Wow... that's..." he said, trailing off.

"How does it work for longer term cases?" Steve asked curiously.

"Oh, I can keep someone under my control for as long as I want, they're mine until I tell them they're not." I frowned, contemplating how much of a villain this power could make me.

"Well, where have you been all this time?" Banner asked with a grin.

"Hiding," Nat answered, nudging me with her elbow.

"Either way, I'm glad to be part of the team."

"Y'know, you should come and stay in Stark tower," Stark said suddenly.

"Avengers tower," Banner corrected him.

"You didn't even want me to join and now you want me to stay in your home?" I asked Stark suspiciously.

"All the Avengers stay there... from time to time anyway."

"I'll think about it," I said, still not completely sure where I stood with Stark. As I spoke, there came a big crash from a different room. We all rushed towards the sound, to see Thor standing in the middle of a room, looking uneasy.

"Thor is everything ok?" Steve asked, going up to his friend and fellow Avenger.

"No. The earth is under threat. An alien army..." Stark cut him off.

"Another alien army? That's easy, we just defeated one of those."

"This is different. The Chitauri could be killed."

"Are you saying we're being attacked by an alien army that can't be killed?" Nat asked, a worried look spreading across her face.

"If they can be killed, I've never seen it done before. They are called 'The Morte', they kill everything in their path, mortal or not. They gain your trust by posing as someone you know, someone you love, and then they kill." This was the first time that I had ever heard of the mighty Thor sounding... worried about something.

"You said 'mortal or not', does that mean that they can... kill Gods?" Steve questioned.

"What do they want?" Banner asked.

"What can we do?" Nat wondered aloud at the same time.

"They want to wipe out the human race. They want to take over the earth and use it for themselves. They kill with a single touch, no one can stop them," Thor continued.

Everyone looked at each other, each face more worried than the next. Apart from mine. The Morte weren't the only people who could kill with a single touch...

****************************************

Rogue is officially part of the team and the first mission is about to begin!

Let me know what you think so far in the comments!