Chapter 43: The Wrong Side?

*WARNING: Contains 'Captain America: Civil War' Spoilers!

Steve ran towards the helicopter as we got into our positions. Bucky and Falcon were locating the helicarrier that was going to get us out of here, Wanda and Hawkeye were the distraction, and Scott and I were the secret weapons. This had to work, it just had to.

As he got closer, Stark and Rhodey flew in front of him, blocking his path.

"Hear me out, Tony," Steve said. "That doctor, the psychiatrist, he's behind all of this." Just like we expected, T'Challa, now known as Black Panther, jumped into the scene, standing with Stark and Rhodey.

"Ross gave me 36 hours to bring you in, that was 24 hours ago." Stark retracted his helmet. "Can you help a brother out?"

"You're after the wrong guy," Steve reasoned. Stark rolled his eyes, which we knew he'd do. After all, he was out for blood, and Bucky was his target. Nothing would stop him from getting what he wanted.

"Your old war buddy-" Stark started.

"There are more Super Soldiers just like him! I can't let the doctor find them first."

"Steve," a voice said. He turned around to reveal Nat walking towards them. I knew that she agreed with Stark, but I never thought that she'd actively fight against Steve... against me. "Do you really want to punch your way out of this one?"

Steve remained silent.

"Alright, I've run out of patience. Underoos!" Stark called. Suddenly a burst of white engulfed Steve's shield. His hands were forced together as someone flipped over their heads and landed gracefully, wearing a red and navy-blue suit that could only have been the work of Stark Industries.

"That was... unexpected," I said to the rest of the team under my breath. If we ever had to do anything like this again, I was getting that guy on our side!

"I could have stuck the landing a bit better, but with the new suit... it's nothing, it's perfect Mr. Stark, thank you!" the guy said. I smiled to myself, the one thing this situation needed was some new blood with a sense of humor. "Captain, big fan, Spider-Man. Hey everyone."

Spider-Man. "Has a nice ring to it," I said, mostly to myself, not wanting to admit that I was already completely obsessed with Stark's latest recruit.

"You've been busy," Steve acknowledged, his hands still clasped together.

"And you've been a complete idiot! You're gonna turn Barnes over and come with us, now, because it's us!"

"We found it," Falcon said in our ears. "The Quinjet's in hanger 5."

"Alright, Lang," Steve said softly. Before their eyes, Scott Lang appeared from his miniature state, grabbing the shield, kicking Spider-Man and handing the shield back to Cap.

As he did this, Rhodey stepped forward, ready to fight. Before he could do anything, he was engulfed in electricity, momentarily dazed and paralyzed as he fell to the ground. I walked out with a smirk on my face.

"How did you..." Stark trailed off, looking confused, betrayed and in awe all at the same time.

"I've been practising," I said, still grinning. Since separating from the team, I learned that I could use my electricity without having to touch anyone, without having to move. My own little secret. When I discovered what my electricity could do, I was stronger than I'd ever been before.

"You can't do this," Stark said angrily as Rhodey stood up, still shaking as the electricity tickled his veins.

"We're finding the other Winter Soldiers and stopping the doctor. That's what's happening, there's nothing that you can do about it," I said with a raised eyebrow, before turning to Spider-Man and pointing at him. "You – you're cool."

"T-thanks?" he said, not quite sure how to respond.

"How can you do this? Choose him?" Stark asked.

"Bucky is innocent, and I'll do anything to protect him," I answered.

"Are you guys...?" Nat asked.

"I'm protecting an innocent man!" I argued. If Stark found out about Bucky and I, this mission was over before it even began – he'd have nothing to lose.

"Innocent?" T'Challa asked angrily.

"He didn't kill your father," I said, internally begging him to believe me.

"There's two on the parking deck, one of them's Maximoff, I'm gonna grab her!" Stark said, hovering slightly above the ground. I threw a hand towards him and my electricity instantly grounded him, messing with the wiring in his suit.

"Got two in the terminal, Wilson and Barnes!" Rhodey said.

"Barnes is mine!" T'Challa said, sprinting off in one direction. Steve threw his shield at Rhodey as I took off after T'Challa. I used my electricity to floor him and caught up, jumping on him and pinning him to the ground. But he was a lot stronger than me, so he pushed me off and aimed a kick towards my chest, still trying to find Bucky. I punched the face of his costume, kicking him in the stomach and winding him. Then I pushed him down and used my whole weight to lean down on his chest until he began to struggle for breath.

"I don't want to hurt you," I said, panting. "But I can't let you kill him." In my moment of weakness, he pushed me off him and threw me, causing me to hit my head on the ground. I jumped up quickly, feeling the spot that was now ridiculously painful and damp with blood. As I ran after him, Rhodey stopped in front of me and fired a repulsor beam in my direction, knocking me off me feet. I hit him with my electricity again, kicking him to the ground and ripping off the face of his armour. I concentrated all of my electricity into the palm of my hand, holding it in front of him.

"Don't make me use this," I warned, using the other hand to rip something out of the back of his armour. I didn't know what it did, but from dating Stark I knew that every little thing did something, everything had importance. To work in the best way possible, all the pieces had to be intact. I heard a groan to my right and saw Nat on the floor. I automatically ran to her, as I would have done in any normal circumstance, kneeling down in front of her as she gasped for breath.

"Nat, you have to let us go!" I pleaded with her. "We're not gonna stop."

"You know this isn't right," she said softly, standing up. "You're on the wrong side."

"I'm sick of people telling me what to do!" I exclaimed, letting out feelings that I didn't even know were there. "I needed you when I was a little girl, but I don't anymore. I can look after myself, I can make my own decisions without you! I'm gonna fight for my team with everything I have, and if you or Stark have to kill me, then do it! Go for it!"

"You'd die for him?" she asked sadly.

"I... I like him," I voiced for the first time aloud, emotion bubbling up inside me. I'd never felt as protective over anyone as I did for Bucky.

"You can't," she warned me, anger in her eyes. I stepped away from her, before turning around and punching her in the stomach, causing her to hit her head and fall to the ground. I was shaking, rooted to the spot. Had I just hit Nat? How could I hit her? Would we ever be able to recover from this? And for the first time, I wondered: Did I pick the wrong side?

****************************************

Thank you for reading! Come back next Saturday to see what happens next!

Was Rogue right to hit Nat? Vote and let me know in the comments!