Chapter 64: Germany

Team: Sharon Carter, Nick Fury, Ant-Man, Hank Pym, Loki

Nick Fury has enlisted Sharon Carter in his attempt to save Germany from the attack of the Super Soldier and her army. Unsurprisingly, the German Special Forces had decided not to intervene, leaving it up to the S.H.I.E.L.D to handle the mess. Sharon exited the Quinjet, choosing to tackle the less-advanced members of the army, leaving the others to the people with actual powers. She ran towards a member of the army, taking him by surprise and flooring him. Once on the ground, she punched him repeatedly until he began to bleed. He fought back, but Sharon had been trained with S.H.I.E.L.D, he was no match for her. Within minutes he was unconscious, maybe dead, and she started looking for her next victim.

Hank Pym wasn't supposed to be there. He'd overheard the heroes talking about the soldiers and, after convincing his daughter Hope to stay home, he'd thought that he could be of use. Scott Lang was completely against this, but there was nothing he could do. Once Pym made up his mind, there was no changing it or stopping him. However, he found that he was useless when it came to defeating the soldiers. He had no powers, brought no weapons with him, and his hand-to-hand combat skills were rusty at best. So when he found himself standing in Germany in the midst of scared civilians and terrifying soldiers, he had no choice but to run, to hide where they were hiding. As he was running, he felt a sharp pain in his back, which caused him to fall to the ground. As he looked up into the eyes of the Soldier that was holding a large knife, he thought of his daughter, grateful that he had told her to stay home. He'd be beside himself with worry if he thought for a moment that Hope was putting her life in danger. As the Soldier stabbed him in the chest, he saw Hope's life flash before his eyes – her first breath, smile, laugh, word. He saw her crawling, walking, running to school with her friends. He wanted to apologise for everything, from her mother's death, to being a pushy over-protective parent. But ultimately, he wanted to apologise for sneaking off without telling her, and for making her an orphan. As he took his final breath, he whispered out the word that meant the most to him.

"Hope."

***

Loki got roped into helping. He knew that Thor loved Earth, which was enough to make him want to abandon it altogether. But if he helped, he could get on Thor's good side, which would allow him to carry out his diabolical master plan, so he was helping. He was a God, the most powerful being, the rightful king of Asgard, there was no way these Soldiers could do anything to harm him, and he knew it. Still, he admired their determination. It was like, the only thing that the Soldiers could process was murder, destruction. There was no room in their hearts for any empathy or compassion, they were simply getting on with the job that they had been asked to do. Loki wished that Thor would act like this. If he thought more with his head and less with his heart, he never would have given Earth a second thought. They could have been an amazing team; they could have ruled the world together. Instead, he'd chosen his girlfriend over his brother.

He used this anger, channelled it into taking out the Soldiers. Even without his sceptre, his magic allowed him to kill two soldiers at once with hardly a blink. But for once, he didn't feel any satisfaction from his kills, because he was doing what everyone else wanted him to do. That was when he realised: Being the bad guy was only fun when everyone expected you to do good. When you play the bad guy, and do bad things, it's expected. No one expected Loki to sabotage his own team. He turned towards the Quinjet and used his magic to derail its path. He had left the planet and returned to Asgard before he could see it crash.

***

Scott Lang was alone; he'd lost track of everyone. To be honest, he wanted nothing to do with Loki, and getting on S.H.I.E.L.D's radar was the last thing on his mind. He didn't trust them. But his size worked to his advantage, he was taking out soldiers without anyone being able see him. He found the Super Soldier before anyone else did. To most of the civilians, she looked ordinary, but she was stronger than all the other soldiers combined. Scott made a beeline for her, jumping on her and climbing up to her neck. She swatted him away, missing at first, but eventually finding him and throwing him as far away from her as possible. Scott stood, shaking himself off and changing the settings in his suit. He'd promised Pym that he wouldn't do this again so soon, but desperate times called for desperate measures. Within seconds, he was the height of a skyscraper. Everyone, including the Super Soldier herself, were running from him. He caught up with her in a few short strides, trapping her under one of his feet. He pressed down, squeezing the breath out of her. Out of nowhere, Sharon Carter came bounding over. Quickly, she shot the Super Soldier in the head three times. The Soldier was dead in an instant. The rest of the army, seeing the death of their leader, left the scene as fast as they could, before they were taken out too.

***

Fury was in the Quinjet, struggling to keep it under control. Out of nowhere they had swerved and were now hurtling towards the ground. Many of the S.H.I.E.L.D agents had jumped out of the Quinjet, using parachutes, but Fury wouldn't. This was his jet, this represented S.H.I.E.L.D, he wouldn't go down without a fight. He jumped into the pilot's seat and tried to steer the jet upwards, but it seemed like something mystical was stopping everything from working. Soon, the ground was coming up faster than he realised. It was too late to jump, too late to do anything. He closed his eyes and braced himself for the crash. The Quinjet hit the ground, causing an explosion that could be seen for miles. Sharon and Scott heard it. Sharon ran towards the wreckage, before stopping in her tracks as she realised what it was. The Quinjet was destroyed.

"Fury?" she questioned. "Fury!" she tried again. He always found a way out of things, he couldn't be dead. There was no way he could be dead. Scott grabbed her, pulling her away from the burst of flames before she did anything stupid, like jumping into the wreck to search for Fury. At this moment, Hank Pym crossed his mind. Where was he? There was no time to search for him, he had to get Sharon back to New York. He just hoped that Hank had managed to find his way home.

****************************************

Thank you for reading! How do you feel about these deaths?

More are coming in the next chapters, be prepared!

Vote and leave me a comment! xx