Chapter 49: New Beginnings

*WARNING: 'Captain America: Civil War' Mid-Credit Scene Spoiler!

"Where is he?" Steve asked as we walked into the Wakandan research facility.

"Right this way," one of the doctors said, greeting us and showing us into a room where Bucky was recovering from his surgery. I ran to him without even thinking about it, wrapping my arms around him as he squeezed me tightly.

"Hi," he said softly, then glanced behind me. "Hey Steve." He stood up and they hugged for the first time since 1945. "Thank you both, for everything," he added. We all smiled at each other without saying anything else – we didn't need to.

At that moment, T'Challa walked in with the doctor that had originally greeted us. I sat down and Bucky came and sat beside me on the bed that he'd been previously lying on.

"Mr Barnes, that's some of our best work yet," the doctor said, gesturing to Bucky's metal arm. "It's made of 100% Vibranium and should be a lot stronger than your last one."

"How does it feel?" Steve asked him. Bucky flexed his fingers and stretched his arm out.

"Great, good as new!" he said with a smile.

"Good. Now we just have the issue of..." the doctor trailed off and looked at T'Challa, who took over from him.

"We can't guarantee that you can control yourself. Someone else could do what Zemo did and start a war all over again." Zemo was the guy who had turned Bucky into the Winter Soldier.

"So, what do you want to do?" Bucky asked nervously.

"Well, our best option is to freeze you until we can work out how to eliminate that side of you."

"If you think that's best," Bucky replied, entwining his fingers with mine.

"No," I said, making everyone look at me.

"Rogue, this is what's best," Steve answered.

"Best for who? It's not best for you, it's not best for him – it certainly isn't best for me! Not to be completely selfish but, I haven't had a real, normal relationship in a really long time, ever actually!"

"So what do you propose we do?" T'Challa asked.

"Nothing," I answered. "What happened with Zemo happened because Bucky was locked up and couldn't do anything about it. He's free now, and he's got me and Steve looking out for him."

"And if something should happen...?"

"I'll fix it. I'll take full responsibility and I'll change him back before you even hear about it," I promised.

"You can't do that," Bucky said.

"If it's between that and leaving you frozen in Wakanda, that's what I'm gonna do," I replied.

"How do you feel about that?" the doctor asked Bucky, who looked at me.

"I think that there's nothing Rogue can't do. I feel safe with her. And if something happens, and I feel even the slightest bit different, I'll come straight here and you can freeze me for as long as you want," he promised.

T'Challa and the doctor looked at each other, before both nodding.

"Your responsibility," T'Challa said, pointing at me. I nodded. "Mr Rogers, can I speak with you?" he asked. They walked out and the doctor went with them.

"Thanks for that," Bucky said.

"Well, we haven't exactly had a normal relationship," I answered. He nodded thoughtfully.

"Well, we could always start again," he said, standing up and pulling me up with him.

"Hi, I'm James Buchanan Barnes, also known as Bucky. I have a metal arm and sometimes I forget who I am. And I'm in love with a girl who controls minds and electrocutes people and... protects me no matter what."

I smiled as he gestured for me to go next.

"It's nice to meet you James. I'm Hazel Miller, also known as Rogue. I control minds and create force fields and electrocute people, and I don't know who I am. But I do know that I'm in love with someone who can go from the sweetest guy in the world to a dangerous assassin in 5 seconds. But he makes me feel safer than anyone else in the entire world and I never want to lose him."

We kissed, his arms wrapped around my waist and my hands in his hair.

"From now on, let's have a proper relationship." He started. "With no more wars or assassins or near-death experiences."

"I'd settle for ex-boyfriend drama over 'destroy the world' drama any day," I agreed, hugging him.

"And I don't want you, or anyone else, to see me as the Winter Soldier. We're two completely separate people. I'm just a guy with a metal arm who wants to take his girlfriend out for dinner and a movie." I laughed as Steve came back into the room.

"Ready to go guys?" he asked.

"Yeah," I answered, walking to the exit of the building with a Super Soldier on each side.

"Oh, Rogue, I wanted to ask you something, but then this whole thing happened and I never got the chance," Steve said. "Do you still want to find your mother?"

"What?" His question took me by complete surprise. I hadn't thought about Layla Miller since the Lagos disaster. It hadn't even crossed my mind to start looking for her again, it had caused too much trouble last time. "I don't know. Why?"

"I was wondering how we could find her, so I got in touch with a few people through SHIELD's files and found someone that might be able to help."

"Someone who knows her?" I asked excitedly.

"No. There's this woman, she's a private investigator. She's really good at her job, and she's worked with... people like us before. So I thought you could give her a call, see if she could help."

He fumbled in his jacket pocket and pulled out a business card. "I brought her number with me in case you wanted it."

He handed me the card. It was a simple white card with only a name and a number hand written on it in Steve's familiar messy scrawl.

Jessica Jones.

***************************************

Thanks for reading! I hope you liked this cute Bucky and Rogue chapter!

Who's excited for the introduction of Jessica Jones? What do you think will happen when they meet her?

Vote and comment if you liked this chapter!