Chapter 39: He Saved Me

*WARNING: Contains 'Captain America: Civil War' Spoilers!

"Bucky!" I yelled, ducking as he threw a punch my way. "This isn't you."

He followed me around the room, hitting and grabbing anything that he could along the way. I put up a force field and he automatically began hitting it, kicking it, doing anything to break through.

"Bucky, don't do this! Don't let them do this to you!" I pleaded with him, urging him to recognize me, to realize that this wasn't who he was. His eyes stayed cold and distant as he kept fighting. When he realised that there would be no way for him to get through, he stopped, breathing heavily. He looked calmer – maybe all he needed was to get the anger out of his system. I put the force field down and he immediately grabbed me, standing over me. I used my electricity to shock him into letting me go. "This isn't you!" I said again, over and over.

"You're my mission," he said softly, his eyes menacing as he grabbed my arm with his metal one and pushed me against the wall, pinning me there. I tried a different tactic.

"You remember me, from D.C. right?" I asked. He attacked us when he was the Winter Soldier, but Bucky remembered.

"You're my mission," he said again, although with less conviction.

"What about in Romania? You recognised me – we went to your apartment. Steve, you remember Steve?"

His grip on me loosened.

"Steve?" he questioned under his breath.

"Don't become the monster that they've made you," I urged him. "Do you remember me?"

His eyes softened, and I could see a glimpse of Bucky staring back at me.

"Remember me," I whispered. He was about to respond when a guard came into the room, pointing a gun first at the evaluator, and then at Bucky and I. Bucky let me go completely, running towards the guard and throwing him against the wall, knocking him out instantly. Then he turned back to me and grabbed me again, pulling me across the room. He pushed me into the glass cage, picked up the door that he'd broken off, and sealed it shut as more guards flooded into the room with their guns raised. One by one he easily took them out, leaving no one unharmed. I sank to the bottom of the cage, too scared to move, too scared to even look at what he was doing.

I spotted the evaluator watching everything unfold. My only guess was that he was HYDRA – he had to be. Who else would know exactly what to say, who else could turn Bucky into the Winter Soldier so quickly? Who else would want to?

When the last guard was down, Bucky came back towards me. He glanced at me before turning towards the other guy, grabbing him and throwing him against the wall. It wasn't hard, but it was hard enough to keep him down.

Then we heard footsteps running towards us. Bucky glared at me, retreating into the darkness. I sat up to see Falcon and Steve running through the darkness, neither had spotted me yet. Steve walked towards the evaluator and pulled him roughly into a standing position.

"Get up!" he said. "Who are you? What do you want?"

"To see an empire fall."

At this moment, Bucky came out of the darkness and attacked Falcon, punching him and throwing him at the glass cage, blocking my exit and trapping me inside. Then he turned on Steve and they fought, throwing random punches and kicks at each other as they left the room, too engrossed in the fight to see where they were going.

"Sam!" I shouted, trying to wake him up so I could get out of the cage. The evaluator brushed himself off and started to walk towards the door.

"Why?" I asked softly.

"Why not?" he replied with an evil smirk, walking away. I pushed the door, pushing against Falcon's unconscious body roughly.

"Sam!" I called again after not managing to get out. He started moving around. "Sam, move please," I said. He looked wildly around, before realising where he was and moving out of the way. I pushed the door and it fell with a crash.

"Are you hurt?" he asked me.

"No," I said in surprise. Bucky hadn't hurt me. He'd shut me in glass cage, making sure that he wouldn't be able to hurt me. He'd protected me. "We need to find that guy!"

"Let's go!" he said. I followed him and we ran side-by-side up the stairs. "What happened?" Falcon asked as we ran.

"I don't know!" I said. "It was like... he said these things, and it hit a switch. Suddenly, Bucky wasn't Bucky anymore."

"He's dangerous," Falcon said. "He could have killed you."

"But he didn't. He saved me," I reasoned.

"He saved you from himself. If he wasn't dangerous, he'd have nothing to save you from," he reminded me. We got to the roof, surrounded by crowds of people running in the opposite direction, bumping into us.

"We'll never find him," I said softly. We made our way back down, to the sounds of screaming and fighting. I ran towards the sound to see Nat lying on a table with her hand clasping her throat. "Nat!" I said, running to her and wrapping my arms around her. "Are you OK?" I asked.

"Fine," she said shortly, her voice sounding strained.

"Where is he?" I asked urgently, looking around. After this, if he got caught, there was no way that they'd ever let Bucky go.

"T'Challa chased him out, he disappeared."

I stood up and she grabbed my hand.

"Where are you going?" she asked, also standing. The room was dishevelled, nearly everything was destroyed.

"I'm going to find him," I said, as if this was obvious. Nat sighed. "What?"

"Listen, I know that you think you owe him something, or that you owe Steve something, and I get why you came here. But that's enough – you can't get involved with this dangerous guy, you'll get yourself killed."

"He's not dangerous," I said, defending Bucky once more. "He saved me."

"Go home," she said. It wasn't a suggestion; it was an order. "Go and stay with Vision and Wanda, let us take care of what happens to Barnes. You trust me, don't you?"

"Yes," I said. I trusted Nat more than anyone, but could I really trust her with Bucky?

"So promise me, promise that you'll stay out of this one."

As she said this, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. A text.

Steve: Got him.

"I promise," I responded to Nat, lying through my teeth. This was one mission that I couldn't stay out of.

****************************************

Thanks for reading! Come back next Saturday to see what happens next!

Should Rogue stay out of it? Or should she keep helping Steve and Bucky? Comment your thoughts and vote if you liked this chapter! xx