Chapter 48: The Real Civil War

*WARNING: Contains 'Captain America: Civil War' Spoilers!

Stark hit Steve, sending him clear across the room. Bucky raised his gun and Stark turned and aimed a repulsor beam his way. From the corner of my eye, I could see the doctor leaving, the guy who brought us here and destroyed us from within. How was it fair that he got to walk away from this like nothing had happened, and the rest of us were left to pick up the pieces that he'd torn apart?

Bucky and Stark fought, hitting each other as hard as they could with everything that they had, and I couldn't blame either of them. Stark was fighting for the love of his parents and Bucky was fighting to stay alive.

"Get out of here!" Steve shouted to me, throwing his shield to distract them. I thought about leaving, but then I remembered Stark's words back when I was in the Raft: 'we're on the same team. There's no abandoning me... we look out for each other. Not as heroes, as friends'.

I couldn't leave him now.

I ran towards the fighting trio, using my electricity to momentarily incapacitate Steve. Stark then shot something from his suit and tied Steve's legs together.

"I'm sorry, I can't let you do this," I said.

"I thought you were on our side?" Steve questioned me.

"I'm on the side of what's right. I promise I won't let Stark kill Bucky, but I won't let him die either, he has a right to be angry."

"It wasn't Bucky – he's not a bad person," Steve said.

"You don't think I know that?!" I said angrily. "I'm in love with the guy, but he did this. I know he wasn't in control, but Stark doesn't care!"

"You love him?" Steve asked. I caught myself, realizing what I'd just said.

"I-" I was cut off by the sounds of punching and metal hitting more metal. As I looked up, one of Stark's repulsor beams hit the roof of the building, and the foundation started to fall, threatening to crush us. Steve broke himself out of Stark's ties and we ran to the other side of the room to avoid being crushed by the falling pieces of brick and metal surrounding us.

"Go!" Steve shouted to Bucky. He opened the roof and began to climb as quickly as possible. "If you really love him, you'll help me stop Stark."

"It's not that simple," I said. Of course I wanted Bucky to get away, but I couldn't hurt Stark, not when everyone he trusted was turning against him. "He trusts me."

Stark began to fly after Bucky and Steve grabbed onto the foot of his suit and damaged part of the flight system. I followed Bucky's route and began to climb up the side of the building, knowing that if anything was going to happen, it would happen from there.

"Leave," Stark said to me, flying unsteadily after Bucky.

"I'm not abandoning you!" I said back, still climbing. He fired another shot at Bucky as he was about to reach the exit. He missed, hitting the hinge that was holding the roof open. It exploded and the roof shut with a force that caused a ripple that made all four of us to fall from our current positions. Steve and Stark ended up on the ground while Bucky and I were a few stories up.

"That wasn't me," he said in a pained whisper.

"Stark's not gonna stop," I said, glancing below at Steve and Stark, standing opposite each other, like cats marking their territory before one pounced on the other.

"I know. He's going to kill me."

I looked at Bucky, expecting to see a fight in his eyes, some form of aggression. Instead, he looked defeated. Like he knew that he was in the wrong and he wasn't going to fight any more.