Chapter 10: The Winter Soldier

*WARNING: Contains 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' spoilers!

"Who's 'The Winter Soldier'?" I asked as Steve grabbed me.

"Not the time," he said, also grabbing Nat. Sam leaned over and as Steve kicked the car door off, we slid on the car door down the street, traffic coming towards us.

"Split up," I said, as the Winter Soldier and his team started shooting at us.

"Be careful guys, this is HYDRA," Steve warned as we all ran in different directions. I ran towards a few of the HYDRA agents, using my electricity to instantly kill any of the agents that I touched, ignoring the fact that they were dying at my hands. Desperate times called for desperate measures.

"Civilians threatened!" I heard Nat shout.

"I'm on it," I replied, jumping down onto the street below and ushering people out of the line of fire, shielding them all with a force field. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Nat running from him, the Winter Soldier. As I got the last civilian away, I saw him shoot her in the shoulder. "No," I said under my breath, so that he wouldn't hear me. I ran towards him, ready to take him out with my electricity, but Steve beat me to it, pulling him off of the car and hitting him with his shield. I ran to Nat. "Are you OK?" I asked her. She took a few deep breaths.

"I'm fine, help them," she said, gesturing to Steve and Falcon, who was still trying to kill the HYDRA agents above us. I nodded, taking Nat's gun from her and shooting upwards, hitting one of the HYDRA agents in the neck.

"Bucky?" I heard Steve ask under his breath.

"Who the hell is Bucky?" the Winter Soldier asked, taking the words right out of my mouth.

As the Winter Soldier tried to shoot Steve, Falcon, suit on, flew over and pushed him out of the way. A bomb went off just as we heard the sirens.

"Put the shield down!" Agent Rumlow said, pointing a gun at Steve until he put the shield down. Other agents came, pointing a gun at me, Nat and Falcon, before attempting to put us in handcuffs. As one of the agents tried to put the cuffs on me, I electrocuted him.

"Ah, shit!" he said, pointing his gun at me.

"Put the gun down. Not here!" Rumlow said to the agent, gesturing to a helicopter flying above us. We were being watched.

"Get up, follow them," the guy said, lowering his gun but never taking it off me. I could have just put a force field up and ran for it, but I wanted to stay with the team. I was an Avenger after all.

They forced us into a van with two agents watching over us. One with their guns focused on me to keep me in my place.

"Who's Bucky?" I asked Steve as the van began to move.

"He was my best friend. We fought in the war together. He fell from a train, I thought he was dead," Steve said.

"But even if he didn't die, shouldn't he be like..." I tried to work out how old Steve was. "Old by now?" I finished with pathetically.

"He should be 95, like me. He should not be the Winter Soldier, which he is."

"But how is that possible?" I wondered aloud.

"Bucky's whole unit was captured, Zola experimented on them. They must have helped him survive the fall. They must have frozen him, like they did to me..." he said, trailing off.

"None of that's your fault Steve, you couldn't have known what would happen," Nat said softly. I could see the wound from where she was shot, it was bleeding heavily.

"I abandoned him," Steve said, looking down.

"He fell from a train. If you hadn't left you would have died. He didn't expect you to jump off the train too," Sam said, trying to reason with him.

"Even when I had nothing I had Bucky," Steve said, still looking down.

"And now you have us too Steve," I said with a smile. "You can't spend your whole life thinking about the past. When they chose to give you the Super Soldier serum, they did it for a reason, because they knew what you'd become. We're here on a mission, don't let anything get in the way of that."

We were all silent for a moment. I saw Falcon look over at Nat's wound.

"We need to get a doctor here," Falcon said, a worried look on his face. The agent with his gun facing me turned his gun towards Falcon, allowing me to electrocute him, killing him instantly. The three of us turned to the other agent, who was in the process of taking their helmet off.

"Hill?!" I shouted loudly with relief.

"That thing was squeezing my brain," she said, massaging her temples where the helmet had been pushing into her head. She stopped and looked at Falcon. "Who's this guy?" she asked us.

"There's no time, can you get us out of here?" Steve asked. Hill nodded, kicking the back door to the van. It came away easily, much easier than it should have for the door of a security van. Hill, Falcon and I jumped out, Steve helping Nat out.

"My car's here," Hill said. I got in the front beside her, the other three getting in the back. "So Rogue..." Hill started as we began to drive. "What's going on with you and Stark?"

"What?" I asked, taken aback. Did she know what had happened?

"You guys are together right?" she asked again. In the rear-view mirror I could see Nat and Steve looking at each other.

"Um, no. What gave you that idea?" I asked, not making eye contact with her.

"I just assumed. I mean, he hasn't stopped calling S.H.I.E.L.D since you left home. He wants to know that you're OK" she said, glancing at me every few seconds when her eyes left the road.

"We're friends. He's just checking up on me," I said, obviously fooling no one. Nevertheless we sat in silence until we arrived at our destination. As soon as Hill stopped the car, two people came running out.

"She's lost at least a pint," Hill said, helping Nat out of the car with the help of Steve. "But first, they'll want to see him."

"See who?" I asked curiously.

My query was met with silence.

****************************************

Thanks for reading!

Who are they going to see? Find out in Chapter 11 next Saturday!

Please vote and Comment!