Chapter 3: A Plan Of Attack

There was indefinite silence in the room – no one knew what to say, until Steve spoke.

"We need a plan of attack. If we can get them by surprise, we can still have a chance. We can't let them wipe out the earth. Think about it, Stark wears a suit, Hawkeye attacks from afar, and Hulk can't be killed. The only ones in immediate danger are me, Romanoff and Rogue, we need physical contact."

"Rogue?" Thor asked, looking at me.

"This is Rogue," Nat said, pointing at me. "She's just joined the Avengers initiative."

"I wasn't aware that people could come and go as they pleased. I didn't think we needed another person to look after."

"Trust me, she doesn't need anyone to look after her, she's awesome," Stark said, winking at me. I had to physically stop my jaw from dropping open. Tony Stark, sticking up for me? Really?

"Look, I don't think we have time to convince you that I should be here," I began. "I'm not even convinced myself that I should be here. However, you guys need help, and I'm here to help you."

"Fine," Thor said shortly.

"Do you know when they're coming? How long do we have?" Hawkeye asked Thor, who still seemed unsure about me.

"According to Loki, they're coming today."

"Why would we trust anything that Loki has to say? I mean, wouldn't we have every reason to distrust him?" I wondered aloud.

Stark laughed to himself.

"What?" I asked sharply.

"You said 'we', it's like you're already part of the team."

"Is that a problem?" I asked with a smirk, one hand on my hip.

"No, I like it," he said, my smirk mirrored in his face.

"Can we save the flirting for later please guys? We kind of have a major problem on our hands. What's the plan?" Hawkeye interrupted us, sharing a look with Nat. I rolled my eyes. Why would anyone think that I was flirting with Tony Stark? Not least because he already had a girlfriend, Pepper Potts, CEO of his company Stark Industries. Plus, he was a pain-in-the-ass.

"I think the plan's obvious," I said. Everyone turned to look at me. "Thor knows the most about them, and with the help of Loki it seems he can gain more information. He draws them out and leads them to a place where Stark, Hawkeye and the Hulk can get to them easily. Once they're being attacked by you three, they won't expect Steve, Nat and I to come from behind. If we take them by surprise, we can attack them before they even understand what's going on, we can attack them before they kill us," I shivered, noting how different I sounded. I was turning into a completely different person. Thankfully, all of the Avengers looked impressed.

"See Thor, what did I say? She's awesome," Stark said with, what looked like, a genuine smile.

"I think I know how I can get their attention," Thor said to himself. "I'll bring them to the top of Stark tower, be ready to attack," his attention turned to Stark, Banner and Hawkeye. They all nodded and left the room, each patting me on the back, their way of saying that they liked my plan. Thor followed them.

"What's wrong?" Nat asked. She could always tell when something wasn't quite right.

"It just feels... too easy."

"What do you mean?" Steve asked.

"I mean, Fury forces me to join the Avengers initiative and, on the day I join, we suddenly have a threat from another planet. And then, I come up with an obvious plan in 30 seconds that you guys think is completely perfect? Something doesn't add up."

Nat and Steve looked at each other. They looked... worried. Then, within an instant, the look that passed between them was gone, and they were both laughing at me.

"You have one vivid imagination Rogue," Nat said, pulling me in for a hug that did nothing to quell the suspicious feeling that was building up in front of me.

"Can we just... go to Stark Tower please? Something's not right, I can feel it." I asked, expecting them to either ignore me or shrug me off.

"Fine, if that's what you want" Nat said, flashing one more look at Steve before she led me out of the room.

***

We pulled up at Stark Tower not long later, Steve deciding to come with us. As Nat stopped the car I jumped out.

"Rogue, trust me, there's nothing wrong," Nat shouted at me. I knew that she was probably right, but there was something, something in the back of my mind, that was telling me something was wrong. Call it instinct or intuition, or even just me being overly cautious and dramatic, but I had to do something about it.

I stood impatiently, tapping my foot, as Nat parked and they both got out, Stark Tower in front of us.

"It's amazing!" I said, my breath taken away. I had never seen anything as magnificent as this up close and personal.

"Yeah, why do you think I stay here?" Steve said with a chuckle.

Then we heard it. A scream coming from high above us, the top of the building. It was Hawkeye's scream. I ran towards the sound as fast as my legs could carry me. JARVIS (Stark's user interface computer program) informed me immediately where to go. If I had more time to think, I would have commented on how cool that was. As I got to the roof, Nat pulled me back.

"Rogue, you can't go out there. We have to wait for a signal, we could die."

"Hawkeye is your best friend, you should be fighting right alongside me," I tried to reason.

"Clint wouldn't want me to give my life at the expense of his, I know that."

"Nat, I'm part of this team now, I can't just stand here and let them get hurt... let them die," I said softly. Nat said nothing for a moment.

"If you go out there now, you might not walk away,"

I took a deep breath. "That's a chance I have to take," I said, walking out to join the rest of the Avengers, knowing that this decision could mean the end of my life...

****************************************

Thanks so much for 50 reads on the first two chapters, it means the world!

In the next chapter we find out the story behind 'The Morte', hope you enjoy it!

I upload on Saturdays, so come back next Saturday for chapter 4!