Chapter 22 - Pretending to be a good guy.

A few days later, Letty's funeral were held. They never found the body, by the burned car wreck.

Mia was devastated. Her and Letty grew up together. She lost yet another part of her family.
I was left with the shock, and the anxiety that they would search for me.

I knew Dom would be here for the funeral, but I also knew that he was smart enough to keep his distance.
It somehow made me feel more safe.

Later that day, Mia and I cleaned out the last things from Letty's room.
Mia went out in the garage with some of her things.

"I'll just bring this into the garage." She said before she walked off.

5 minutes passed and she wasn't back yet, so I walked to the garage to look for her.

"What's taking you so long?" I said concerned, as I walked in.

I couldn't believe my own eyes.

"Dom." I said almost whispering, from the shock.

I ran straight into his arms. I couldn't hold my tears back.

Dom gently stroke my hair, as he held me close to him.

"Shhh. I'm here now." He said softly, kissing my hair.

I slowly pulled away and dried my eyes.

Dom looked around the garage. I could sense, that he was happy, to be back home.

His eyes traveled to the black Charger, who he crashed before he fled.
He looked questioningly at Mia and I.

"Jess wouldn't let them junk it.
Even though it is a goddamn curse.
She was always in here, working on it day and night." Mia explained, smiling at me.

Dom smiled warmly at me, before I walked up to him.

"Dom, you can't be here. The F.B.I. are following my every step, I'll lead them directly to you. If they find you..." I protested.

"They won't." Dom interrupted.

"Why are they following you?" Dom asked confused.

"I was running with Letty. I was in the car with her.
If they find out I''m alive, they'll come after me. So the feds are keeping an eye out for me. To protect me." I explained, leaving a shocked expression on his face.

Dom reached out for me and gently pulled me closer, like he was overwhelmed by the thought of losing me too.

"I want to see the crash site." He said after a moment.

I slowly pulled away, and nodded.

Dom picked up his car, before we drove off.
It was very emotional being at the crash site again. I immediately felt the tears well up in my eyes.

Mia gently rubbed my back.
"Are you okay?" She asked softly. I nodded in response, but I was lying.

I felt guilty and afraid.

Dom looked around the crash site. I slowly walked up beside him and explained to him what happened that night.

Dom immediately sensed that I was out of myself, and gently wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer.

"It's okay. Shhh. I won't let anything happen to you." He said softly.

"I know. It's just hard to be here again." I said smiling weakly, as I pulled away from him.

We drove back. Dom stopped the car a few blocks from our house.

"You found something back there." Mia said with sadness in her voice.