Chapter 51 - "Don't Miss"

Jessica's point of view

"Brian in a minivan. Things have changed." I smirked, as Mia, Dom and I watched Brian put the kids into the minivan ready to take them to kindergarten.

"He's struggling." Mia sighed with a sad look.

"He doesn't want me to see it, but the white picket fence is like an anchnr on him. I can tell. I tried to talk to him the other night. You know what he said? He doesn't miss the girls, he doesn't miss the cars. He misses the bullets." Mia continued slightly frustrated.

"Let him settle in. Give him time." Dom said calmly sharing a smile with me.

"How does nine months sound?" Mia said with a crooked smile, making Dom and I stare at her in shock.

"I'm having another baby." Mia smiled.

"And you didn't tell him, did you? You gotta tell him." I tried to convince her.

"I don't want him to be disappointed with his life. With me." Mia said with tears in her eyes.

"He will never be disappointed with you. You're the best thing that's ever happened to him." Dom reassured her, knowing that was exactly what Brian felt.

"Thank you." Mia smiled before she hurried iff.

"Thanks for taking Amelia!" I shouted after her and Brian, before I turned to Dom.

"I should go. I'll see you later." I smiled at him, before I placed a soft kiss on his lips and hurried off to my car.

Dominic's point of view

I had just started fixing Jess's old Roadrunner, when my phone buzzed in my pocket. I quickly cleaned my hands and grabbed the phone, showing an unknown caller ID.

"Yeah?" I answered as I picked up.

"Dominic Toretto. You don't know me. You're about to." A man said on the other end before he hung up, leaving me a bit confused but I didn't put much thought into it and continued working on the Roadrunner.

After a while I was once again interrupted by a policemen walking into the driveway.

I quickly put my tools away and walked towards him, feeling a bit uneasy.

"Dominic Toretto?" He asked politely as he stepped near to me.

"That's me." I said, not really interested.

"I'm police officer Michael Jones.
I'm sorry to inform you, that your wife was killed in a car accident earlier this morning." He said calmly, without much emotion.

It was like the world stood still. I felt all the blood rush from my face and my thoughts immediately went to Amelia. How was she going to grow up without her mom? And how was I going to live without her?

"What happened?" I asked, my voice almost breaking.

"We don't know yet. But this was hanging from the rear mirror." the officer said, passing me Jessica's necklace.

What was it doing there? Someone must have placed it there. Someone was out for my family and I needed to know who.

A few days later

Elena called me and told me that Hobbs wanted to see me and that I didn't have a choice.

"Shattered his collarbone, fractured his leg in two places. He only regained consciousness this morning. The first thing he said was, "Get me Dom."" Elena explained as we walked through the hospital hallway.

"He's in there. Are you okay?" Elena asked a bit worried as we stopped in front of Hobbs's room.

I just nodded at her, before I walked in.

"You risk life and limb to save the free world and what do they give you?
Jell-O and a bad '70s TV show." I pointed out sarcastically.

"You know, it's got its perks.
- Sponge baths ain't that bad." Hobbs smirked at me.

- "Dad!" A young girl suddenly interrupted us from the corner of the room.

"I'm sorry, baby." Hobbs apologized.

"Dad?" I said in disbelief.

"Honey, I want to introduce you to somebody. He's a, uh... He's an old friend. Go on and say hello." Hobbs said as he waved her over to us.

"Dominic Toretto, right? My dad said he kicked your ass once." She said excitedly.

"Young lady, watch your mouth." Hobbs warned.

"Your dad's on heavy pain meds. I can understand if his history is a little hazy." I smirked between them.

"I doubt it." She said confidently before Hobbs cut her off.

"All right, honey, that's enough. I want you to go get something to eat with Elena while me and Toretio have a talk. You hear me?" He said with an almost warning look.

"Who did this?" I asked with pain in my voice, feeling the sadness overwhelm me by the thought of my loss.

"You remember Owen Shaw?" Hobbs asked.

"The one we tore half of London down trying to get. Well, this is his big bad brother. Take a look at this." Hobbs continued passing an envelope to me.

"Deckard Shaw." I said with anger in my voice.

British Special Forces assassin. The kind of unique asset that no government would ever admit to employing." Hobbs added.

" Black Ops boys." I said.

"Worse. They created a monster. They felt Shaw was a necessary evil until eventually they decided he was unnecessary. The powers that be felt that he knew just a little bit too much.
The asset became a liability. So they sent in 20 elite operatives to retire him." Hobbs explained.

"And they missed." I added pacing around the room, filled with anger.

"That was six years ago, and Shaw's been a ghost ever since." Hobbs continuesd.

"Until now." I added, turning up him.

"HOW do I find him?" I asked, feeling the anger boil inside me.

"The official answer is, you don't." Hobbs answered without much emotion.

"He killed Jessica." I said feeling the pain to deeply.

"He also tried to put me in a body bag, too.Which is why when I get out, I'm gonna put a hurt on him so bad he's gonna wish his mama had kept her legs closed. But until then, my official answer to you is stand down." Hobbs said with an intense look.

"Now, you know I can't do that." I said hiding my frustration.

"I do know you, Dom. Which is why now I give you the brother-to-brother answer. You do whatever it is you gotta do. When you find that sumbitch, just do me one favor." Hobbs finished.

"What's that?" I asked turning my eyes back to him.

"Don't miss."