Chapter 43 - "We're getting paid, right?"

- - -

- - -

Dom and I decided to go to Mia and Brian's house, to get Brian's opinion.

I watched as Dom carefully placed Amelia in the car seat. I loved to watch him around Amelia, even though this was a serious matter.

Mia and Brian were playing with Jack outside their house, as we pulled up their driveway.

"Hi, Jack." Dom said as he got Amelia out of the car and walked towards them.

"What's up, Uncle Dom?
What's up, Uncle Dom?" Brian said, pretending to be Jack.

-" Are you happy to see him?" He asked little Jack.

I took Amelia from Dom, before we walked closer. Brian was holding a toy car up.

"Are you already pushing imports on him?" Dom asked smirking.

"You say, "Dad's not pushing anything."
He chose that car." Brian answered

"We know he's an O'Conner, but,
I brought you something, Jack." Dom said, reaching out a toy, Dodge Charger to him.

-"Yeah! He's also a Toretto." Dom said smiling widely, as Jack reached out for the car.

-"I don't know." Brian protested.

"Luckily, he has a couple more years to decide, right?" Mia added, making us all chuckle.

"I think he decided, Mia." Dom said making a funny grimace.

"I think it's time for his nap.
Come on, baby. " Mia said before she picked up Jack and got up.

The rest of us walked to the backside of the house and sat down in the garden.

"It's weird, huh?" Brian suddenly said.

"What's weird?" Dom asked him, taking a sip of his beer.

"We got everything.
You know, down to the beer and the barbeque." Brian answered, making us all chuckle.

"But it just...
I don't know, it just doesn't feel like.." Brian started, but was unsure how to finish the sentence.

"It doesn't feel like home." I finished for him with an understanding smile, earning myself a surprised look from Dom.

"Maybe it's because, uh, you don't realize how much you appreciate something until somebody takes it away.
I don't know." Brian said a bit confused.

"The place has probably changed so much, you wouldn't even recognize it anymore." Brian continued before he and Dom chuckled. My stomach tightened by the thought of all the good times, back in LA.
I was wondering, what the house looked like now, after all those years.

"Yeah. Everything's changed." Dom said with a serious look on his face.

"So what's up with you?
What's going on?" Brian asked curiously.