The Awakening (Part 8)

The Mage stood still as the Prince's word echoed in his head, love him? But why, he had never show such affection to the Prince in their younger years and what he had just done wasn't anything close to that, so why would the Prince love him? And did he truly just leave because he couldn't stand to see the one he 'loved' become a monster. The Mage refused to give in even though all the fibers of his being was commanding him to turn around and embrace the Prince.

"Is this some sort of trick to get me to lower my guard? If so, then trust me it might have worked if my soul was weak." The Mage made effort to pull his hand away but was surprised to find that the Prince's resolve still hold strong. He did not hear any sobbing from the Prince, so he sat there wondering what expression the Prince must have been wearing. However was shocked when his eyes connected with the Prince's in the mirror that was before them, across the room. The Prince stared at him with his deep lilac eyes and furrowed brows.

"Is that what you think of me? That I'd deceive you in order to do away with you? I may be a weak Prince, Hawke, but I'm not a coward." The Prince looked at him through the mirror which made the great Mage flinch. Clutching his fist, he turned to face the Prince and saw there that the Prince spoke truth in his words.

"Then why? After all that I've done, why would you still hold affection for the one shrouded in darkness?" The Mage glared down at he Prince, what was he thinking, this was never part of his plan. He should have been killed already, or left the Prince's room before anyone came to check on him. He had made sure to time everything perfectly and now he was there on burrowed time.

"Because I still believe that I can save you from the evil within." The Prince took his time, and moved slowly off the bed. As he placed one foot to the floor, a sharp pain run up his thigh, which caused him to go off balance. Involuntarily, the Mage reached out to hold him, but the Prince slapped it away as the warm fluid of blood and semen run down his leg. The Prince froze as the feeling made him shiver a bit before he shook his head then slide his other foot off the bed and walked to his wardrobe. Once there he took out a binder and handed it the Mage. "I shut myself off from all the crimes of the kingdom, but I never stop thinking about my friends who had to deal with it, and you." The binder had contained photos, and notes on each one of the three friends. "I know that you've all been taken care of, and that's the good in it. You all killed for the prosperity of the kingdom and not for the wrong reasons. Which is why I know I can save you. I love you too much not to care because of what you just did to me."

The Mage looked the Prince over, confused, contented and dumbfound. He didn't even bother to look in the binder, but kept his eyes on the Prince. Even in such a dark hour, the Prince still glowed with righteousness. Again, he could feel himself wanting to reach for the Prince but decided against it. Nodding his head slightly, he finally came to terms with what the Prince had said, but there was nothing he could do about it now. Though he now knew that his feelings were mutual, there was nothing he could do about it. He still had to leave the following day.

"I should go now. You're man servant should be awake and other guards suspicious as t why they've been sleeping. Forgive me for assaulting you as I did and forgive me for my past crimes against you." The Mage had bowed, a routine, he'll soon have to break since he was leaving to join the Circle. Taking a breathe, he stepped away from the Prince the turned to leave once more, hoping that there was nothing left to be said.

"Hawke." The Mage heard the faint call of his name by the Prince, but he didn't stop until he heard his name being called again. What was it now? All had been said, what else was left to put out there which wasn't already. Slowly moving his head to rest on the handle of the door knob.

"What is it Your Highness." The Mage stared at the wooden door, he had not to turn around and so he did.

"Please look at me." The Mage heard the Prince say, but this time, he sound to be closer to him then when he called his name first. Being it his last duty to the royal family, he turned around and there he saw the Prince a breathe away from him. Captivated by his soulful eyes, he could say nothing more as the Prince had closed the gap between them and was not tipping up to face. "Will you leave me like this, after having claimed me so violently?" Even though it was an question, the Prince didn't want to hear the answer, so he then locked his lips unto the Mage's. Kissing him deeply before he felt the Mage wrap his arms around him and then began to contribute to the kiss.

Thus, the act of true and undying love caused a spark to lite between the two and they both could feel it. The Prince emitted a white aura that clashed with the Mage's purple aura. After they broke the kiss, the Prince looked at the Mage.

"My.... why am I... why do I have an aura?" The Prince then looked at his hands and saw the magic in his palms. The Mage looked him over before staring into the Prince's eyes.

"You have awoken, My Prince"

TO BE CONTINUED