Cologne > Gajeel Redfox - Song AU <

"There's a reason you're everywhere
Breathe you in like you're in the air
Maybe you should call off the day
Give your girl some time to play
In my room, from the ceiling to the floor
My body knows that you've been here before."

Home was lonely, in fact it didn't even feel like home anymore. The man who you had grown to know and love had disappeared after taking that dangerous mission with Natsu and his team.

It felt like a sharp spear had pierced into your heart whenever you thought about him and how you never truly confessed your feelings. It made you so mad but then you only got angrier at yourself when those harsh emotions turned into tears that would silently and unknowingly stream down your face, alone in his house without his presence by your side.

"Every second here without you, I pretend we're skin to skin
Every single breath reminds me that you never, ever left
Every time I think about you, I can feel my hand give in
Cause you're keeping me safe and warm
Even when I'm home alone
Wearing nothing but your cologne"

You figured Gajeel was silently informed of your deep emotions towards him. He and yourself acted like a couple and everyone saw it. Wizards could already see the day that you two finally kissed and made it official.

You both held hands and took care of each other, whether it be mentally or physically. You were his rock and he became yours and the two of you were perfectly content in your little bubble. You weren't a wizard of Fairy Tail but you had became good friends with the wizards when they accidentally destroyed your home in a battle.

The destruction of your home rendered you homeless and the fire - thanks to the Fire Dragon Slayer - had demolished all of your savings and your special jewellery or money. The Master was ashamed and scolded his wizards but that didn't help your situation, later on everyone was astonished to see the Iron Dragon Slayer feebly offer his home with red cheeks and body language that screamed nervous and awkward.

"Maybe you should call off the day
Give your girl some time to play
Running my mind cause my heart lost all control
Only one thing that can give me that multiple"

He wasn't even around anymore, they tried looking for him but it was almost impossible. You desperately tried to make Natsu and Wendy go and look again, and again but it was hopeless. It was as if Gajeel Redfox had disappeared into thin air and couldn't even be detected by the Dragon Slayer's noses. You refused to believe that he was dead somewhere but then the thought of Gajeel being alone and stranded only made your heart squeeze with fear and heart break. How was he going to react when he found out you were here doing nothing while he slept out in the cold?

You were constantly on the lookout. Listening for his name or just simply sitting in the guild and waiting to feel those dazzling and dizzying tingles you constantly felt when his gaze was locked on you. You became paranoid and the guild was worried about you. Natsu felt terrible because he couldn't find the Iron Dragon Slayer and didn't want to speak to you ever since he became afraid and ashamed when he thought you would blame it on him.

Lucy and Erza would be by your side trying to comfort you but their cold hugs felt like sand paper against your skin when you tried to remember the way Gajeel would cuddle you without abashment. You felt horrible that their hugs and wise words of alleviation didn't do as much as they would think so but you planted a fake smile on your face anyway.

"Every second here without you, I pretend we're skin to skin
Every single breath reminds me that you never, ever left
Every time I think about you, I can feel my hand give in
Cause you're keeping me safe and warm
Even when I'm home alone
Wearing nothing but your cologne
Wearing nothing but your cologne, cologne
Wearing nothing but your cologne"

It had been four years now and your love for him was still as bright and powerful as the fire that strengthened the Fire Dragon Slayer. You hardly left his home and you were careful not to move his things so it was like he was there, but only when you weren't, or maybe when you were sleeping.

His scent still lingered in the pillows and blankets of his cold and spacious bed. His home was dull and dusty but the scraps of Iron that were littered in the hollow building still made you smile a little when you thought about him randomly eating the metallic substance at such weird times of the day with a goofy smile on his face.

You loved the fact that his scent never left, because then it was like he never left. The guild had accepted the fact that Gajeel had left or possibly died - though no one actually said that - but you knew that they secretly never stopped looking just for you.

You hated the fact that they would push past your facade to see the little broken girl that you always hid from the world. In bed at night it took longer for you to fall into that blissful sleep where you could kiss Gajeel in your dreams but that also allowed you to hug your pillows and pretend you were skin to skin.

"All the way down
Feels like you're around
Forever in the moment
I love it, and you know it
All the way down
Feels like you're around
Forever in the moment
I love it, and you know it."

You never left your bed anymore. You would always imagine Gajeel's strong and muscular arms wrapped around your petite and fragile body. There were empty and dry plates and glasses surrounding you on the floor and bedside table but you never found the strength or motivation to do anything about them.

People like Gray and Cana would pound on your door wondering where you were. You knew you were worrying people but you were too exhausted to care. Your other half - your better half - was gone without a trace and only left you the beautiful sweet scent of his cologne that made you feel alive and home.

You knew Natsu and Happy would watch you with pitiful stares from your window through the cracks of your blinds but they couldn't find a good enough reason to enter without your permission. You knew Natsu felt guilty but when there was no one to blame for the disappearance of your lover, your brain could only conclude Natsu being the perpetrator that left you in this embarrassing state.

Resting in your bed, you were now half awake and watching the clock tick on the wall for hours. It was now three twenty four in the morning and you shifted to your side of the bed, snuggling into the warm blanket and burying your nose into your pillow, tears stung in your eyes when you only smelt lavender scented detergent and the scent of the Dragon Slayer you so dearly missed was diminishing.

"Every second here without you, I pretend we're skin to skin
Every single breath reminds me that you never, ever left
Every time I think about you, I can feel my hand give in
Cause you're keeping me safe and warm
Even when I'm home alone
Wearing nothing but your cologne."

You shifted more to help cease the sob you were currently choking on. You vision in the darkness became blurry and you didn't even notice the large figure watching you from the doorway. He watched with sadness but he felt so relieved to find you here, still waiting for him.

The bed dropped under a sudden weight and you stilled when that unique cologne filled your nasal passage. From one second to the other, sobs erupted from your mouth and filled the void of the bedroom.

Half of your cruel mind was strictly believing Gajeel was back and wrapping his arms around you, but the other half only told you this was another silly dream and to go back to sleep.

And you did.

Only, Gajeel was really here with you with his arms wrapped around you while you both breathed in each others scents and you were finally home.

"I'm here, (Y/N). I'm home."

"mhmm... 'Bout time, Gajeel... Love you."

".. Love you too."

"Wearing nothing but your cologne."