Nightmares > Alphonse Elric <

Where a single voice becomes a Haven.

Italics - Dreaming
_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

Nights in Resembool were lonely, Edward was always out fulfilling his duties as State Alchemist while Alphonse never strayed from his older brother. You never stopped them from leaving, no matter how much you wanted to because you knew it was all to get Alphonse's body back to flesh and bone; as well as Edward's arm and leg.

You were left alone in the house with Winry and Pinako because you couldn't do anything that would benefit the brothers. You were too scared as well so you knew that if everything turned bad in a matter of seconds and it became violent, you would surely be stuck frozen in fear and eventually a liability to them.

You couldn't handle making Alphonse and Edward angry, nor could you forgive yourself if you were the cause of a delay in their mission to obtaining the Philosophers Stone. So you stayed back and made sure they were okay when they decided to come back home. You hated being scared and you hated not knowing what could've been happening to the Elric brothers which led to the displeasing and frightful concept of nightmares.

You never told anyone about the nightmares nor did you say what they were about. It had been happening for a long while now, almost close to half a year and now you had to resort to either waiting until Winry and Pinako went to sleep or else you wouldn't sleep at all. You hated the thought of those two having to wake you up as you cried alone under your hot bed covers.
You didn't want them to watch you with sadness written all over their faces, you already felt weak and incompetent enough.

When you regularly woke up with shock-stricken eyes and a gasp locked in your throat, the tears would begin to freely cascade down your face to wet your neck and your blankets, no one would come in to help because you would helplessly swallow your voice but you didn't want it because that meant keeping the two Rockbell's awake and away from their peaceful slumbers. If you couldn't sleep then that didn't mean you had to take it from anyone else.

You would become slightly relieved when the brothers arrived home. Usually they would come inside, Edward would get his automail repaired because of his reckless and assertive behaviour, after that sometimes Edward would then have to fix his brothers armour which was only slightly common. You were left with a frown on your face but then they would proceed to tell you little stories about their adventures and how they had acquired new information about the Stone. It made you feel better.

You really enjoyed having the boys home because you knew that they were okay, you didn't need to lie to yourself and remind your brain they were fine because they were physically in the same house as you so you knew they were okay. Hence the reason you rarely got nightmares when they were home.
Plus you would feel extra guilty for making Alphonse worry if you had awoken and bursted into tears a second later. He was so sweet and caring and you felt bad that he couldn't sleep because his soul was binded to a metal armour so you liked to let him know that you were okay and sleeping well.

It wasn't like that though. Because Alphonse was always quiet, rarely moving by his brother's side because he didn't want to wake Edward when his metal plates moved by each other.
The silence enhanced the thrashing of blankets moving in your room, then he would hear little whimpers. They were heard just barely to Alphonse but after staying still and concentrated, he was sure it was coming from your room on the other side of the wall.

There was a black figure, it was too dark to see who he was or what he was doing. You felt shivers running through your spine, ragged breathes escaping your mouth and you were lucky to be able to suck in a whole breath if you did at some point. Your breaths were quick and you knew you were prone to falling unconscious even if it was a dream.