Chapter 10

Sincere

"What do you have to show me?" I asked Effrin as he walked me down the dark basement steps.

I don't know what he's been up to lately but he's been spending a lot of time in the basement. Every time I try to come down here to see what he's doing, I can't because the door's always locked or he tells me that he's down here handling business. It's been three days and I've barely seen him. There's no business he's handling that he can't tell me about unless it's something illegal that he knows I don't want him messing around with anymore.

I'm not sure what came over him today to finally come from out of the basement and actually allow me to come down here with me though. It's like ever since we caught those people breaking in a few nights ago, things have been different around here lately. Effrin's been more distant and to himself. I know he killed two of the guys that he caught in the house but there was a third one. Effrin ran outside after him, I heard gun shots and that's it. Effrin was covered in blood but he never spoke about what happened to that third person though. I can only assume he died just like the other two.

Effrin heavily huffed up against the back of my neck. "It's something important," he spoke calmly. "I know you been wondering what I've been doing down here but I ain't wanna get you involved in this gorgeous. I was just trying to keep you out of this but I think it's time I tell you what I've been doing. Well, show you what happened."

I sighed and stood in place as soon as I got to the end of the basement steps. I wasn't going anywhere unless he told me what he did. "What did you do Effrin?"

He sighed again. "Can you just keep moving so I can show you?"

Instead of keeping my eyes closed like he told me to, I opened them and looked around. It was still dark, except for the light near the laundry room. "What's going on down here? What have you been hiding from me Effrin?"

"Alright, you remember a few nights ago when them niggas broke in here?"

I nodded my head. "Yeah, of course."

"And you know why I killed 'em, right?"

"Because they broke into the house," I replied in a 'duh' tone. Why else would he kill somebody?

He shook his head. "Nah, I pulled my gun out on them because they broke into my house but I killed them 'cause obviously they been up in here before. They obviously knew the floor plans since it was so easy for them to get to the steps and walk up the steps within seconds of being here Sin. They were probably in here before and they're the reason my stash got stolen out of my room and it's the reason why your wallet just mysteriously came up missing. Some niggas are playing with us Sin, that's why I killed them but I spared the third one."

(A/N: Remember Ava stole the money from Effrin and stole Sincere's wallet to help support Hazel's cocaine fund?)

"For what? You should've just killed all three of those idiots," I replied.

"Oh, I did plan on killing the third one too until I found out who it was. I spared him 'cause I wanna make him suffer for going against my family."

I scrunched up my face. "Who is it?"

"He's in the laundry room."

Before he could even finish telling me where the third person was, my legs were already walking towards the dining room but I stopped in my tracks before I could even get up close enough. There sat Aubrey, tied up in my laundry room. He was tied to a chair that sat in front of the washer with duct tape around his mouth and his body bandaged up, I guess from getting shot.