Chapter 43

Theodore III

I leaned back in my seat, getting comfortable since I knew I was going to be here all day. Jazmine had been bugging me for the past few days about dress shopping since I was paying for everything, and I didn't want to come, but then her Mother got involved and made me come. She claimed it would be a great opportunity to see how much of a promising young woman her daughter is. And while Jazmine continuously trying on dresses is annoying, sitting here with her Mother is even worse since she thinks Jazmine and I are about to start dating.

"You know," Mrs. Hart, Jazmine's Mom, began as she leaned towards me. "That other guy of hers never took her to do anything like this. What was his name again? Austin?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I wouldn't know," I replied. "I try not getting myself involved in other people's lives."

She slightly frowned. "Hmm. That's interesting. Jazmine told me you and Austin were friends."

"That was years ago."

"So you know him?"

"Not anymore," I told her.

"Oh, well it's best that you don't associate with him. You know he's going to be going to jail for a very long time?"

"For what? What did he do?" I asked, pretending not to know why Aubrey was going to jail. This lady is one of those crazy judges you see on TV that have perfected their craft so much, they can see when anybody's lying, so I have to play it off and mix my answers up so she won't ever be able to piece my story together.

She took a deep breath, rolling her eyes. "Oh, nothing out of the norm for these troubled kids. You know, those people who live on the other side of the tracks are always getting into something that involves drugs, prostitutes and just illegal stuff in general. Now I know you don't live int he same community with us anymore but Jazmine told me you live in another nice community in Beverly Hills, so I'm sure you know what I'm talking about with these bad ass kids."

"Nah, I wouldn't know. My parents never exposed me to that life," I played along with her.

"And that's good that they didn't but I did hear something about you."

"Oh, really?" I asked as I began tapping my fingers against my leg. Damn. What's taking Jaz so long to get out of the dressing room? She's got me sitting up here with her crazy ass Mama.

"Yes, I heard you have a child young man."

I nodded my head as I thought of something. Maybe if I tell her the truth about Princess, maybe then she'll stop pushing this idea of Jaz and I ever being together. "Yeah, I do. My baby is young and really needs me to be around a lot so I really don't have time for relationships."

"Yes, I know but Jazmine is always at your house so I'm sure she helps. Jazmine is really good with children and she'd be a really good mother. Right?"

I slightly frowned. Damn. This lady can't ever take a hint. "Right," I mumbled. "You mind if I ask you how you know about me?"

"Well, I am a judge and a case did come across my desk the other day regarding the custody of your child. I'm really not supposed to be speaking to you about the case, but since you're a good kid, I decided to tell you. Based on what I read, your daughter's mother isn't around, is she?"

"No."

She shook her head. "She must be one of those hood rats from across the tracks, right?"

I slightly nodded my head, yes. "Yeah, I guess you can say that," I smirked.

"You're going to get custody of your daughter since I'm the judge of the case," she smiled. "But honestly, if any person in their right mind was judging the case, they'd give you custody. I just have one question though?"