Chapter 48

Theodore III

Later that night, I found myself sitting across from Mama and her boyfriend Jayvion

Later that night, I found myself sitting across from Mama and her boyfriend Jayvion. Princess was sitting beside me in a booster seat but it felt awkward. I don't know if it was just me but I could feel the tension at the table. I know I'm not the only person hung up on what happened between Jayvion and I a few months ago since he's barely said anything to me. The only time he really speaks is when Mama's around, and even then, it sounds forced.

"So, Theodore," Jayvion began as he cut into his steak. "Tell me about yourself. Your Mom talks about you kids but I wanna know from you. What are you majoring in, in college?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know." To be honest, I really haven't given college much thought. The only reason I'm going is to make King happy but I know I won't have any time for it once I get down to Atlanta. My main concern will be working and managing the clubs. College will just be a big distraction, and I have enough distractions as it is. I don't need another one. "I guess I'll figure it out when I get there."

"Why don't you go into law? Take myself, for example, I was done with my undergrad in four years then I went on to law school and now I'm just barely 30 and I'm making big money. You should consider law or some type of law enforcement. The police academy is always looking for new members."

I scrunched up my face. What do I look like getting involved with the police? The only police I want to be worried about are the dirty cops on my pay roll but the police academy has nothing to offer me. Why would I want to be involved with a system that's killing my kind every single day? "I'm good on that. I don't want to be a cop and I don't want to be in school that long."

"Yeah, I said the same thing but all the years you put into school will pay off eventually, especially when you see that first check. If one of my cases is big enough, I could be charging a couple hundred an hour and the person has to pay me even if I don't win their case.

"I'm good," I mumbled, causing him to sigh.

"All I'm saying is, going into law will pay off in the end."

"And all I'm saying is that I got a plan set out for myself. I know what I'm going to do when I go to school."

Mama smiled, finally jumping into the conversation that was soon to be heated. "Well I want him to go in and get a feel for the school before he starts making any major decisions. He has two years until he has to declare a major, so just take your time but I want to hear about this plan you set out for yourself. Who helped you with this plan?"

"King did," I commented, making Mama's eyes widen.

"King?"

I nodded my head. "Yup, King."

Jayvion scrunched up his face. "Who's King?"

Mama sighed, shaking her head. "No one." Clearly Mama knows the type of plan King and I set out for myself but what did she expect when he gave me everything he owns? Did she think I was just going to be living off of the money and never doing anything to replace the money I'm spending? I need a way to make the money back, and right now, the trap houses and the clubs are how I'm going to make my money back. "How long has King been helping you with this plan?"