CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

I took the stairs one by one, slowly, quietly, cautious of possible danger. My sword drawn, I reached the bottom and I was faced with an unlocked door that was open a crack. I peered through the gap and saw a dining table with but one woman sitting at it. She was sobbing into her gloved hands and her pink dress was dirty and torn. A tiara rested in her hair, lop-sided. She pulled her head back and began to cry out louder. She was fairly pretty, or at least she would be if she weren't crying so much. I open the door and reveal us to her, but as soon as she saw us she stood up and began running.
"Princess, stop! Please!" Yelled Link.
"AKI DANSTROPEN" I say, casting a sheild in front of her, preventing her from running away.
"this is Zelda's magic," she began in a broken voice "only a truly noble mage can cast these walls as strong as this. Could it be? Are you the man who saved Hyrule? What was it... Robin! Are you him?" I nodded and she began to walk around the table and towards us. She continued, "so why did you not save us? My beloved Kingdom reduced to ash... Because you were not here. Millions of men. Women. Children. Nobody was spared. I am only alive because of being a coward and being hid away. Even Mario fled. The sworn protector of the Mushroom Kingdom fled at the first sign of danger. And I thought him fit to be king..." she began sobbing and Link went over to embrace her. She cried into his chest and he whispered comfort to her, as much as it would help.
"Mario was always brave, always eager to help. What reason would he have to run?" asked Chrom.
"self preservation. He was scared he was going to die and so he let 2 million civilians die for him." answered Princess Peach bitterly.
"self preservation... That's shallow. I wish he were here so as I could give him a piece of my mind." I said through gritted teeth.
"do not be so quick, there might be something more to this..." Said Pabago. This got me thinking, so I began to dig for more.
"what did he say before he left?"
"well," Said Princess Peach "he did say something about a professor that could help him, but I didn't believe that. What a load of rubbish! Why do you ask?"

Chrom, Link, and I all exchanged the same knowing look.
"Chrom," I drew all their attentions as I said what needed to be said "which way to Kanto? We have a hero to find!"