CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN

The remaining clone ceased to exist as PBG had died, and presumably his army would have too given up. Link and I ran over to Chrom with Mario not far behind.
"Chrom! Chrom can you hear me?" Link said as he picked his head off the floor. Faintly, Chrom's eyes fluttered open.
"I can hear you Link, though I do not know how long I will last. I have something to say before I die, so listen to me." he said weakly, his voice and breathing laboured.
"Anything Chrom. What is your death wish?" Mario said.
"When you return to marry Lissa, Robin..." Chrom began to fade out "... You will be... King of Yilisse. Look after... My people and... my sister. Live a noble life like I have... Believe in your strengths..."

Chrom fell limp in our arms and Link laid him down, shut his eyes, and stood back from the body. The three of us stood together and I took out my spellbook to get us out. Then a thought crossed my mind.
"what if I turn back time? Then we can save Chrom! I can do that!" I said.
"No Robin. That is exactly what PBG wanted you to do, remember? If you do that, you'll wake up in a forest not knowing who or what you are. You'll stumble across a man in green and this whole thing starts again. We have won. At the sacrifice of one man, we have saved the world. He has died a hero's death where PBG has died one of a fool and an idiot. Get us back to our birds. We can free his slaves! We can live good lives! His last words were 'believe in your strengths', not 'cower from sacrifice and let a dead enemy win'!" Link said to me.
"I fully agree with Link. Let this place be Chrom's tomb, not his regret. We must move on from mistakes and sacrifices, else we'd all end up madmen. We shall mourn for him when we are out of this place." Mario added. I nodded and looked for the right spell.
"NETIRI ONSOPLET" I read from my spellbook.

We arrived back at the army battle and PBG's army had surrendered as we had thought. I beckoned away the dekus that guarded them and told them
"You are now free. Go, live as you did before you were so enslaved and prosper as free creatures."
And they all exited through the hole the dekus had come in, leaving their weapons behind.