2 || falling into place ||

a / n this chapter is dedicated to plaintively for being there for me all the time. love you and your cockiness x

H E R N A M E I S N O E L L E,
I H A D A D R E A M A B O U T H E R.
TEENAGE DIRTBAG — WHEATUS.

▂ ▂ ▂ ▂

"I HOPE YOU'RE AWARE I look like a prostitute," Jade pointed out, narrowing her eyes and tugging at the end of her sky blue dress.

I almost rolled my eyes at her. Almost. Only as I tucked my acerbic wit away, I gazed at her and sighed, capping my mascara. "Look," I started, taking a few steps toward her and setting my hands on her shoulders. "This will be good for you. Trust me, okay?"

She bore an uninterested look on her face as she rolled her eyes. "Whatever," she murmured. "I doubt it."

"Have no fear, Noelle is here," I grinned, linking our arms together. "And as your best friend, it is my duty to find you a one night stand today."

"You're such a bad influence," she told me and I merely grinned in response. I wanted to do something, like shove her out the door for instance, but before I could do anything along the lines of that, her phone rang aloud.

With an aggravated sigh, she rummaged through her purse and finally managed to locate it, lifting it toward her ear. "Hello?" she spoke lethargically, biting down on her lower lip. Almost at once, her eyes grew wide and she swallowed hardly. "No, Mum. I'm at Noelle's house. Y-yeah, we were just studying."

Moments afterward, Jade removed the phone from her ear and passed it over toward me, her eyes wide. "She wants to talk to you," she whispered, looking almost forlorn.

I rendered her an encouraging smile, before raising the phone to my ear. "Hello? Yes, it's me. Yeah, we were just studying together. You know how school is," I pretended to sigh, making sure that it sounded resigned. "Alright, have a nice night, Mrs Wong."

"Ugh, Asian parents can be such a pain in the ass," Jade muttered as I handed her phone back. Then, grinning slyly, she tucked her phone in her black purse. "I knew I can always rely on you."

"Let's go, my friend," I said, sweeping my arms toward the door. Her eyes crinkled up and she smiled, causing a swell of happiness to wash over me.

Our arms were automatically linked together as we trod out of the room, climbing down the steps at a glacial pace. "You sure your parents are okay with this?" Jade inquired in a rather tentative manner.

"What they won't know won't hurt them," I smiled, causing Jade to shake her head at me in utter disappointment. Yet, she couldn't resist the small smile that had managed to enhance her Asian features.

Quietly, I opened the front door and motioned for Jade to exit. With a slight nod, she slipped out the front door and I followed suit, gently closing the door behind me.

A cold gust of air began to blow, causing both our hair to sway in the harsh wind. I gathered my hair behind my ears, before directing my footsteps in the direction of Jade's car and climbing into it.

Jade, offering me a slight smile, rolled down the window and reached out, fiddling with the radio. Almost at once, a Fall Out Boy song resonated around the car and I grinned, cranking up the song a few notches higher.