Chapter 3

Caleb's POV

I arrived home from work and began to make dinner for Spencer and I. She was going to meet up with her mom to talk about the election. She told me she would be home at eight o'clock. It was now only half five but I wanted to get a head start so that I could relax before she came home. I turned on the oven to let it heat up. As it was doing so I sat down at the kitchen table. I was scrolling through Twitter when I heard the doorbell ring. I walked to the door and opened it.

"Oh... hey", Hanna said awkwardly.

"Ah, hey what's up", I replied not sure what to say.

"Is Spencer home. I was going to ask her if she wanted to go for a coffee", Hanna said, looking around behind me.

"Eh, no she's out with her mom", I said to Hanna's dismay.

"Well, I guess I'll come back later then", Hanna said as she turned around.

"Why don't you stay for a bit. I could do with the company", I replied. I wanted Hanna to know that things didn't have to be awkward between us.

"Um... okay,"Hanna replied awkwardly.

She walked in and I closed the door behind her. She sat down on the couch and I followed her.

"Coffee ?", I offered.

"Sure"

I walked into the kitchen and began to make coffee. As I did so I looked into the sitting room at Hanna. She was sitting on the couch fiddling with her charm bracelet. She often did that in an awkward situation. I had to clear the air with her. We have to talk about what happened between us.

I made the coffee and brought the two cups into the sitting room and handed one to her. She took a sip and then put it down on the table.

"Hanna. I think we should talk about this", I said nervously.

"About what", Hanna replied, pretending not to know what I was talking about.

"You know what", I replied.

"What's to talk about. We were together and now we're not. We've both moved on. That's all there is to it", Hanna said in a fluster.

"If that's all there is to it then why are things so awkward between us." I said seriously.

"I...I don't know. We went through a lot together Caleb. And your dating my best friend of course things are going to be awkward."

"I knew you weren't okay with this", I addressed.

"What ? No... it's not about that", Hanna claimed.

"Then what is it about", I questioned.

"I don't know. I just want us to get along, to be friends. I know that it's going to be hard, okay , I do. But we can try", Hanna blurted out.

"Then let's try", I said looking her and the eyes and smiling at her.

She smiled back at me and bit by bit we became closer and closer. The next thing I knew our noses were nearly touching until Hanna jumped back from me.

"Ehh... I just remembered that ... I ... am meeting my mom at the Radley. I better get going", Hanna lied.

"Um... Yeah. Sure. I'll see you soon", I replied.

I stood up and walked over to the door. I opened it and held it for Hanna to walk out.

"Bye", I sighed.

"Yeah, bye", Hanna replied.