Chapter Nine

After leaving Jacob on the porch, I started to talk to Sue Clearwater and got to know her better. Her husband, Harry, died a few years ago of a heart attack and Leah and Seth are both of her kids. She is currently dating someone names Charlie Swan, who once was married but they divorced. He and his ex wife had a daughter together named Bella who married someone named Edward Cullen. Charlie is the chief of police in Forks and Sue works as a nurse in Forks Hospital. If you ask me, yes, that was a lot to take in.

Naturally, she asked about me and I told her what I tell everyone. Parents divorced, moms job moved her out to Seattle, mom met John Uley, they got married, he died and moms job transferred her back out to Seattle, mom died in a car crash we were in and that's why I'm here. Simple-ish. I mean, it's more simple than what she said. That woman could talk for hours. Which is why she is looking at my right leg, making sure that it is healing correctly and I'm just relaxing with my eyes shut.

"How long have you had this boot on?" Sue asks, breaking the silence. I shrug my shoulders, keeping my eyes shut mumbling, "About four weeks now.. The doctors said that I should keep it on for six weeks which seems like a little much, if you ask me."

"When did the accident happen?" She asks and I bite my bottom lip. I try not to think about the accident, a lot happened and it was overwhelming to think about. "Two months ago." I say, barely whispering. "That seems like a long time ago.." Sue trails off and I nod. I was in a cast for three weeks and I've been in a boot since.

You see, I was able to get out of the cast because I was unconscious for two weeks. Remember when I said that I hit my head against the rock? Well, let's just say I slipped in a tiny coma then I woke up and found out that I no longer had a mother and I had to move in with my step brother. Imagine what I went through after finding that out. Speaking of which, I never had a proper funeral for my mom..maybe I'll talk to Sam about it.

"Well, Chloee, I say that you need only another week in this boot. Heck, you could probably take it off in a few days. It seems A-OK to me." Sue's sweet voice breaks through my thoughts and I look at her, my eyes wide I'm sure. "Really?!" I ask excitedly. I can finally get rid of this thing... Sue nods, laughing lightly to herself as I fling myself to her. I wrap my arms tightly around her shoulders and say 'thank you' over and over again.

This is great news!

~*~

~Jacob's P.O.V~

After Chloee left me on the porch confused and sad, I continued to sit here on the top step. Part of me is mad that I wasn't here when it was in this house but another part of me is happy that she, my imprint, isn't hurt. Knowing that she is okay, makes not only me but the wolf inside me happy. But I can't help beat myself up over that fact that I wasn't there, I'm supposed to protect her and I feel like I've already failed.

"Jake!" I hear the familiar sound of my best friends voice shout. I look up from my hands, hands that one day will hold Chloee's, and see Embry. I smile and stand up, meeting him halfway before punching him in the shoulder.

"Hey man," I say, "find anything?" Embry just shakes his head, frowning. "We chased the scent south but lost it after a while.." I nod, running a hand through my short hair.

"Okay, thanks Em." I smile, patting him on his back before walking with him back into the house.

"...it seems A-OK to me." Sue's sweet voice echoes through the house as we walk inside. "Really?!" A sweet, soft, angelic voice nearly shouts. The voice of my imprint.