Seven

"Dat booty doe!" Xander hollared when he saw one of my pictures from high school. I rolled my  eyes and laughed "you're an idiot, my kitten."

I'm started to panic... soon he's going to see those pictures again and I don't think either of us can deal with that right now. I need to end this right now. 

"You were so cute in high school angel... what happened?" ah, my window of oppurtunity, she is wide open! Thank you Mary! I gasped and held my hand on my heart acting hurt. "Your words wound me crankerblossom!" I said dramatically "I don't know how I'll be able to go on knowing this is how you feel!" I drape myself across his lap and close my eyes shouting "goodbye cruel world" before dragging a finger across my throat. My tongue poked out of my mouth, exaggerating my dead-ness.

My body started to vibrate from his chuckling. I opened an eye to peak up at him "welp, I'm dead... time for bed. Let's put away the photos now okay? Yay!" I said quickly trying to gather the pictures so that this small trip can be over.

"What? No, no, no babe. You're not getting out of this" he says snatching the pictures from me making me pout. "I'm not done looking at how cute you were when you were growing up."

"Cute? I was skinny, awkward and my back brace had stupid stickers all over it" I sigh.

"We all had an weird stage, don't worry" he says soothingly flipping through photos.

"Serious? When was yours Mr I-had-abs-when-I-was-a-toddler?" I asked showing him a picture of when he was 7 and literally had abs. "Was it when you were 13 and you were captain of basically every team?" I asked gesturing to the one where he was being carried by the football team after they had won the league... AGAIN. "Oh, oh I know. It was when you were 17 and the first in the grade, excelling in every sport and being hunted by every university? It was probably then right?"

He raised his eyebrows at me "You were also-"

"No Xan, I wasn't. I had braces, a back brace, no friends, every season of Friends and a lot of cake" I said harshly, grasping his face in my hands to and staring him dead in the eye. I know I was far from boyfriend material- heck I was far from human material, I don't want more people telling me that I was wonderful.

"So basically what I'm hearing is you've always been perfect?" he asked in a muffled voice puckering up his lips that were squished between his cheeks. As if my heart didn't melt from the sheer cuteness of his words he pulled it all together with small smile.

I couldn't help but laugh "now say 'I am a member of the chubby wubby baby club." To which he replied to by rolling his eyes and then dragging his attention back to the photo's.

Then it happened... The picture that always managed to stop time. Their smiles always looked more radiant, genuine. The way they clung to each other screamed their the undeniable love they had for each other.

"Jay" Xander softly breathed out his brothers name. His eyes scanned the picture. This photograph was taken on their birthday party. Xander had turned eight the day before and James just turned thirteen. I think it was taken a few years before James ran away.

I watched my boyfriend squeeze his eyes shut trying not to cry as he put down the pictures. "Thats why you didn't want me to look through the pictures right?" he laughed softly without humour.

"Yea, kind of... Xander you never told me about James' story. If you want to talk about it then you can, you could tell me now if you want" I say rubbing his back softly, whenever something happens concerning James he wants to tell stories about them and their adventures.

"Well as you know he didn't have the best life..."

"If you don't want to tell me that much, I totally understand baby. I can just go get you a sandwich and we can watch cute movies!" I said quickly pulling him into a hug and planting kisses all over his face.

"No, no I'll tell you. I think I should tell the person I'm going to spend the rest of my life with about my brother" he smiled giving me a quick kiss on the lips. "Well, James' father was a drug addict and his mother was some 18 year old who did drugs, was wasted every day and  tried to drown him when he six months old. His dad was somehow sober enough to stop her from drowning James but after that she left him in the gutter near a slum.

"She did however come back for him when James' dad beat the shit out of her for abandoning his kid. Funny isn't it? The guys never there for his kid yet he cares so much. She kept trying to hurt him and she drilled into his mind that he wasn't meant to be alive."

He took a break and a deep breathe. "When he was seven she died from an overdose, his father took him to the orphanage and told him he'd be back before his tears ran dry... my mom worked at that orphanage and our friendship started."

Good lord.

"He was definitely my brother but then he ran away... came back with a ton of tattoo's and he was worse than his dad. I was so scared for him, I convinced him to go cold turkey on drugs which was probably the worst thing he couldv'e done but after that he turned to God and he covered up his tattoos and mistakes as best he could. He met Charlotte, they had the twins and then..."

"The accident, I know" I whispered. There was a car accident that killed James and injured everyone else he was carpooling with on his way from work.

"And we didn't realise that my brother was best friends with your cousin until the funeral" he laughed in a husky tone.

"Just imagine we met through them, my cousin would never shut up about how she played match maker" I smiled and reached out to hold his hand. I wiped away his tears and moved closer to him, eventually I was sitting on his lap rubbing his back as he quietly cried and told me a few more of his stories about James.

His head was against my chest, his arms around my waist and mine around his shoulders. "I'm the luckiest man in the universe, have I told you that? I'm seriously so lucky to have you in my life. I don't think you will ever understand how much I appreciate your love and friendship"he mumbles squeezing me.

I lifted his head to look him in the eye. His face was red, eyes blood shot but shining with love.

"I love you" I say hastily coming in for a kiss. His lips moved slowly against mine as he pulled me closer. "I love you too" he said inbetween kisses.