Ten

"Thank you so much for visiting Xander" she said quietly rubbing my arm soothingly with her slight southern accent shining through her sincere words "I'm not quite sure where I'd be if not for your support."

I smiled at her and pulled her in for a hug. God I missed her and everything about her. How her touch was so comforting, how she smelt like home and how her voice so smooth. She held me tight, almost scared to let go. Kind of how the kids held me when I came back. I was the closest thing they had to a dad and I was barely there for them.

"Mommy?" a little voice called out making us break away from our embrace. I looked towards the front door of the house where Mel stood pigeon toed with her hair shooting in all directions. Charlotte cooed and beckoned her four year old closer to her. Mel quickly walked on her short legs across the patio and then climbed up on the bench we sat between us, slouching and leaning on me.

"How was your nap peanut?" I asked flattening her hair, she looked so disorientated it was adorable. She looked up at me with her doe eyes and pouted lips "where's Marvie and Uncle Casie?"

"They're still playing outside honey, do you wanna go join them?" Charlotte asked picking her daughter up and placing her on her lap. Mel shook her head fast. "Do you want to go back to sleep?" she tried again, Mel nodded and pointed to her heart "I feel sore again mommy. "Excuse me" Char said getting up with her daughter.

I watched her eyes grow sad but she tried her hardest to stay happy for her daughter. Her pink tinted lips stayed in a small smile as she comforted her daughter, the sun danced on her red hair and the wind blew as if trying it's hardest to make her look even more enchanting than she already was.

Today was hard for her, it had to be because for me it was a 24 hour hell. Today James had been gone for- well- too long. Melissa and Marvin never knew their dad but they felt the pain of the loss. We had to drive up to see Charlotte, it's been too long since we have. The kids have grown so much since the last time I saw them. They wanted to hear all about Caspiry's job at 'the big kid school'.

I sat their feeling sorry for myself for a while until a little person and jumped into my lap giggling like mad. "Uncle Xan! Uncle Casie told me the funniest joke ever!" Marvin giggled looking back at my fiance who was coming towards us with a bright smile.

"Oh yeah? What was it about?" I asked amused. The kid giggled and tried his hardest to put together the 'why was six afraid of seven' joke.  "It sure does sound funny buddy" I laugh wrapping my arm around Caspiry, he leaned into my touch and we shared a short moment of happiness. Just being with him right now made me happy, just knowing he's safe and smiling warms my heart.

Marvin looked up at us and clumsily climbed over me and wedged himself between Caspiry and me. I watched amused as he continued to wiggle, trying to be comfortable and eventually finding his place in my side with his legs in Caspiry's lap. After the wiggling there was snoring while I spoke to Casp about the little things.

"Xan I need to tell you something" he said in a whispered voice running his hand through Marvin's hair. He looked worried.

"What's up angel?" A small smile spread across his face. "Um... nah. I'll leave it till we get back home and see what happens." I shook my head "well I have a something to tell you too."

"Yeah?"

"I made you sign documents with all your details a while ago remember?" he nodded and raised his eyebrows "well there's a this little baby that's just been born and if you want we could go see her... maybe even adopt."

I watched as his eyes brightened and a scream ripped from his throat, then he started hitting me "I love you so much!" Marvin woke up, got up and walked into the house while shaking his head in a very 'I don't have time for this crap' way.

"If you love me stop hitting me!" I said trying to grab his hand. He mumbled a sorry and smiled at me in a very creepy way "I'm living the life babe." I smiled and pulled him towards me to kiss him lightly. We wrapped our arms around each other and just enjoyed each others warmth. He trailed kisses from my lips down my neck. He smiled at me in a way that just told me I was going to have my way with him later.

I groaned "what did I do to deserve this? Tell me so I can do it more often." He laughed and went back to what he was doing much to my delight.