Fourteen

I can't seem to come to terms with the news. The doctors have explained and said I should rejoice, celebrate but how can I? I'm an abomination.

Does Xander still want to marry me?

Does he still want me at all?

Will he take Jamie away from me because I'm such a... freak.

"Casp? Baby?" someone's voice said, it sounded half there at fitst but I soon realised it was Xander's, the one person who can make this all alright.

"Yeah?"

"The doc was just telling me a few things about this-"

"Mistake?"

"Gift." He doesn't get it. He's just saying that.

We drove past each perfect little house in our perfect little neighbourhood with the most cliche sunrise that we'd be watching from the comfort of our bed, wrapped up in each others arms and our perfect little lives. But now that's all changed.

I looked at each house on our block as we got closer to our driveway. The blue house, the Michaels. Mom, dad, son and daughter. No defects. The brown house, the McGregors. Mom, dad and a daughter. No flaws. The beige house, the Carsons. Two ladies, one pregnant. No faults

Then there's our house. A house that I have now tainted.

We came to a stop and I sunk into my seat as Xander's hand layed on my thigh. "What do you think about this whole thing?" I asked quietly.

"It's-"

"Disgusting? Horrible?-"

"Wonderful. Caspiry we can have kids that share our DNA, don't you see how wonderful that is?" he asked with a smile that made me want to rethink my opinion on my whole revolution.

I testing out the taste of those words on my tongue in a whisper. They were bitter, they didn't taste like medicine. Medicine makes you better in the end. This won't make anything better.

"Now let's go inside to see how your parent's have been holding up taking care of a baby for the first time in like a million years" he said softly.

We ventured into a house full of screams that hit me in the face as soon as I opened the front door.

"She needs her Papa's love and protection" I smiled pushing Xander in the direction of the screams.

As soon as he disappeared up the stairs my mom came rushing down asking me what the results said. How do I tell my mother that I am not what she's always thought I was? How do I tell the lady who made me, raised me, loved me and cared for me unconditionally that I, her child, the person she's known literally before I was born am not what she made, raised, loved and cared for?

I did my best to answer her but my own childs cries were torturous. I waited patiently for Xander to get to her room, I counted his heavy running steps to her room then the crying ceased.

"Mom I... don't know how to say this. I'm- I'm not me."

"What? You will always be you, you will always be my baby honey. Just tell me so mommy can make it better."

"That's just it mom! I'm not your baby! I'm not the baby you know; I-" I tried to push the word from my system but I couldn't.

"Caspiry? Is everything alright? Why all the screaming, Jamie just started to calm down" the voice of my father said coming down the stairs. I turned to him and felt something wet fall on my hand. I looked up and found no leak from the ceiling. The damp was on my cheeks too, the leak was from my eyes.

I'd been crying.

"Daddy, I need a hug" I whispered feeling like a six year old who'd just tripped and hurt their knee and I desperately needed Mommy to put a bandaid on and Daddy to hug me and take me to get ice-cream.

My dad opened his arms I ran into them just like I had done every other time I was little and needed my parents.

This time no amount of hugs and ice-cream would fix anything.

"What's wrong Caspiry?" my dad asked rubbing my back as I weeped into his shoulder.

My words came out as a muffled, slobbery wail.

"Calm down boy" dad laughed softly.

"Dad, I'm not a boy... well I am well maybe. I'm intersex and it's horrible because now I get periods and hormones and I can have babies and I just wanna die daddy!" I screamed in my dad's face all in one breathe. I carried on to weep with all that is in me.

"But there's nothing wrong with that" my parents said together making me pause my snot and tears.

"Oh. Okay." Dad says it's okay. It must be okay.

My parent's left and I was lying in bed watching TV. I looked and felt like crap, I cried even after they left, I couldn't stop. The doctor said I was fortunate. That most people go their entire life without knowing they're intersex. They go their entire lives without knowing a part of them exists, it's sad and here I am crying over a discovery that there is more to me.

But- there's another part of me that I have to build on and learn and-

Pads or tampons?

Pads.

"Look baby, there's daddy" Xander's voice cooed coming into our room with our little girl babbling away.

He sat next to me and put Jamie down between us, she then crawled to me and laid herself on my chest.

"I'm intersex Jamie-bear" I whispered to the little ray of sunshine who hit her little fists on my shoulder.

"Yes and it's wonderful" Xander breathed out.

"You have given me so much Caspiry and now you have given me another gift as if being mine and accepting my endless vows to you wasn't enough. You have given me the oppurtunity to have a child that will be half of you and half of me and made fully out of love" he uttered in disbelief with an indescribable grin plastered on his face. "First you show me the wonders of raising a child with you in a matter of hours and now your body shows me that we could have another that would be as perfect as Jamie."

My world was then split in two. One was rejoicing, the other scared. "You want another child?"

"Only if it works well in both our opinions but I'm not demanding one or anything Casp. We have Jamie, the best thing that's ever happened to me- of course besides meeting you- but honestly our little family is more than perfect as is and the thought of expanding it just got me giddy... don't take my words too 'demanding'."

"I guess this is a good thing..."

"It's wonderful. It's you, how can I expect anything less than beautiful and amazing?"